Someone sat on my MBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eatrains, Jan 1, 2008.

1. eatrains macrumors regular

And now I've got some reddish streaks on my display. They line up with the bottom curve of the Apple logo on the lid and the edge at the bottom of the keyboard. They don't show up on lighter colors, 75% white or so and up. Other than that, the display (and the rest of the computer) is fine; no messed up pixels or nonuniform brightness. Is this permanent or is there a way to fix this?

I tried taking a picture of it. It's in the center of the picture.

Attached Files:

2. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

From what you say it sounds permanent maybe I'm wrong it sounds like a damaged panel.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Take it to the Apple Store and get that sucker replaced!

4. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

i dont think that would be covered.its accidental... hmmm, unless you told a little white lie and said it just started one day when the laptop got really hot...:cool:

5. eatrains thread starter macrumors regular

How much might it cost to have the panel replaced?

6. Billz macrumors newbie

If you don't mind me asking, how did someone happen to sit on it? Did you leave it on a chair or something?

7. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Probably around $700 or so.

8. eatrains thread starter macrumors regular

Kind of a low table that could be used as a seat. I've put my computer on it many times before, and no one had ever used it as a seat until the worst possible time.

9. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

How much did they weigh?

Just kidding. I'm sure if there's not external damage or warping to the case that calling apple's repair phone line and asking about red lines in the display would get you a new screen. ;)

10. eatrains thread starter macrumors regular

Nope. No external damage or anything. I'm just wary about sending it in for repair. I'm going back to college in a few weeks and don't want to be without my computer.

11. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I have heard upwards of $1200.

12. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I can't see anything from the picture - it's all black.

Not seeing it on white - that would be because ALL primaries are on for white.

Seeing it on a black display - is the best way to view it (if you're looking for stuck pixels )- and in your cased, likely is from a damaged array / driver.

If you push on it lightly (enough to slightly discolor - but NOT crack) it "might" go away.

Also try along the edges of the screen (not sure where the drivers are connected on this panel)

But sadly - it sounds permanent. Especially if they are appearing as red "lines" - or in rows.

General discoloring - would likely not be a permanent thing. Yours sounds permanent, though.

P.S. That really sucks.

13. FanOfMac macrumors newbie

Definitely! I agree with SheriffParker. After all, it's a laptop meant for toting around and using. The thing should hold up. As long as your MacBook doesn't show signs of abuse, you should get a new screen.

Best of luck.

14. RRutter macrumors 6502

Sounds like permanent damage. Call Apple and tell them and see what they can do for you - I'm sure they'll understand; they always do.

:apple:

15. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

If it comes to replacing the display, the person who sat on it should have to pay it... Even if it was an accident, people should watch where there sitting.

16. FanOfMac macrumors newbie

eatrains,

Curious: When you say "someone sat on it", what exactly do you mean? Did they put full body weight your MacBook? Did they sit squarely on it like a chair? Did they lean on it on one edge? Also, can you be sure this "sitting" caused the red lines on the screen?

17. jmpmntwnty3 macrumors 6502

Wow, I usually look before I sit down. The person who sat on it should be responsible for any charges you incur because of this...

18. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Would you rather keep it and have the screen deteriorate while you're in school?

19. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

This is not to engage in a tit-for-tat, but the OP did mention it being a "low table, also used as a chair".

If I put my laptop on your couch and you sat on it, or if I left mine in your driveway and you ran it over - would you still be at fault?

This is on the line fault-wise, but in all truth - if the OP knew people sat there, therefore, they should have not left it there. I'm sure everyone learned from this (on both sides)

It still really stinks, but not knowing the whole situation - and pointing the finger of blame - is, ehhhhh.....

Back to original subject - OP - it may still get worse - there may be "stresses" now induced, and damage very well could progress over time - possibly even resulting in complete LCD failure.

I'd at least call, Apple has very good customer service from my past experience. Get a time estimate - being an LCD thing - and not some "unknown intermittent problem" - it should be a relatively quick turn-around.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I dig it when the newbies come in with the "little white lie" recs.

OP, I do see the red in the center. Looks like it's there for good so either shell out the cash to get it fixed or let the guy/gal who sat on it pay. Either way it would annoy the hell out of me if it were left that way.

21. TotalNoob macrumors newbie

You can replace it yourself for under $200 :)

I have done it countless times on all sorts of laptops, requires no experience you just need a clear workspace and a few hours :)

22. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Sue him/her.(unless a family member or friend)
    then buy a new computer:D

23. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

First of all you wouldn't sue your friend or family member and second you spelled Computer wrong

24. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

It shouldn't take them more than a week to do it. They'll send you a box and pay all the shipping. Just call 1.800.SOS.APPL or something and tell them red lines started showing up on your display recently. DON'T TELL THEM SOMEONE SAT ON IT. Just describe the defect over the phone, and they'll agree to send you a box.

25. hajime macrumors 68030

Maybe next time you put your laptop on the table, you should put some pins on top of the computer? Hope whoever going to sit on it has a fast reflex.