someone selling Itouch on Craigslist!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by labman, Jul 13, 2009.

1. labman macrumors 604

labman

somebody local has a 16gb new in a box. Says it has never been opened or activated he is asking $240. I am wondering possibility ok being scammed on this. oh he does not have a receipt. this is a gift for my daughter!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Sounds fishy, and you know the old saying: If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

3. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Lot's of people are getting rid of their iPod Touches with the Apple Student promotion. That might explain the flood of cheap/mass amount of iPods on the market now...

4. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

id agree with BittenApple.

Go through with the purchase, but proceed with caution.
    If something else fishy pops up, come tell us here.
    :):apple:

5. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

They come in clear plastic shells, with a label over the bottom plate that shows pretty obvious signs of tampering.

If it's truly new in box, you'll be able to verify that for yourself when you pick it up. Someone's being fairly generous with the price, because they're probably getting $229 from Apple in addition to whatever they make on Craigslist. As long as they sell it for over $20 or so, it's all profit for them and quite possibly a good deal for you.

Or it could just be a scam. Only you can know for sure. If it's intact and still sealed along the edges, it's probably fine. If it's not, walk away.

6. dwu182, Jul 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

dwu182 macrumors newbie

I just sold my 8GB 2nd generation on Craigslist for $180

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

240 doesnt sound that cheap for it at all

8. Austin2048 macrumors 6502

Austin2048

you're right. i sold my old refurbished iPod touch that had NO scratches on it ANYWHERE. not even on the back for 150 bucks. it was an 8 GB 1G. the next day i bought a used but in good condition 16 GB 2G iPod touch for 225 bucks. no scams

9. MacsArePimp macrumors newbie

in all honesty

That's a little high for craigslist. On my local craigslist, brand new 16 gb's go for about $175. I bought my 8gb brand new for $70. No scam. Like someone said earlier, so many people did the student thing, they don't even care for the ipod, because they already have one or two. So they just say, first person to show up with some money gets it. So far I've never been scammed. I bought a dual core g5 2.3ghz in its box a while ago, with wireless keyboard/mouse/apple care/and 15" lcd for $500. Craigslist has some good deals. You just gotta wait a while sometimes....sometimes too long. But in the end its worth it. :)

10. boston44 macrumors 6502

I just sold my 8 GB sealed from my MBP for $180- like another member said, no one would go $200..

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Umm iPod Touch never opened or activated? The activated part makes me weary.

12. KrazyKuul macrumors regular

send him an email and ask if you can do a local pickup. never ask for an item to be shipped to u. either u will get ripped, or the guy will ignore you just like I do to anyone who asks me to ship orders whether the person is legit, or some scam artist in africa.

if they respond, make a phone call and arrange a pickup.

btw, i sold a used iPod touch 8gb 1st gen for $165 awhile back. just though i'd share and brag that i got a good deal for it.

13. lag1090 macrumors 6502

I think it's overpriced for what you're getting.

I would recommend just purchasing it in a store, or haggling with the seller until you reach a more reasonable price point.

14. labman thread starter macrumors 604

labman

No it will be local pick up no worries

I told him I was nervous, he gave me the serial number to verify with the service assistant. The warrenty as good till April 3rd 2010. I like the idea of meeting at the police station. no criminal wants to meet there, if he is honest then he won't care! ;)

15. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Street value is for resale or for products routinely sold below MSRP. The value of a new product with full warranty is naturally some reasonable discount over in-store price. Since sales tax on an iPod touch is in the $20-30 neighborhood (on top of the $299), $240 is a considerably discounted price in comparison.
    Which is actually a better return than $240 for 16GB--you made about $15-20 more profit than this Craigslist seller is asking for.
    How? It's $80-90 savings over buying in store, for a product with no prior owner and a full warranty through Apple.
    More reasonable? Price point?

I don't understand. You're getting a brand new product at a price substantially below retail, with a full and fair opportunity to determine the risk level before committing to the purchase. There's nothing particularly unreasonable about any of it. Both parties are benefiting from the deal. Because it's a student promotion, some of those students are undoubtedly trying to recoup some of their spending on the computer--it's not necessary to rake them further over the coals, when predatory lending and university cutbacks are already squeezing students. There's no harm in asking for a lower price to see what you can get, but to suggest it's an unreasonable asking price is plainly dishonest.

You don't get something for nothing. The discounted price is because it's unneeded hardware and because you're assuming some degree of risk in any private party transaction. A discount that is too steep makes it less attractive for the seller to part with it, unless they're so desperate for cash that they'll take anything, in which case, that's predatory and opportunistic...not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, so long as you recognize that basic fact.

And individual transactions don't have price points, they have prices.

16. labman thread starter macrumors 604

labman

matticus008

I agree I think the $240 price is fare cost new from Apple with tax $316 so it saves me almost a 1/3 of the price. which I think makes everybody happy. I am not trying to price beat a collage student! lol! I going to go get it this morning. and I meeting him at his work so if there is a problem I know where to find him! :D. the price on my daughter face tomorrow priceless!

17. glavoie84 macrumors regular

I sold the 8GB sealed from my MBP $200!... CAD :)

18. lukoson macrumors member

unopened box?

If selling an ipod touch from the student rebate program wouldn't one have to open the box to cut the UPC barcode? Or do they only need a photocopy.

I ust bought a macbook and got the ipod touch which I have no need for and want to sell it on ebay. I'd like to advertise it as unopened but wondered if I actually need to cut the box to get the rebate from apple.

19. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I thought the very same thing. But, out of curiosity, does it actually make you tired, or did you mean:

leer⋅y [leer-ee]

1. wary; suspicious (usually fol. by of): I'm leery of his financial advice.​

;)

20. Porscheboy16 macrumors member

I got rid of my free 8GB for $209 on ebay a couple weeks ago.

21. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

YOu can file for the rebate online... not mailing anything in to destroy boxes.

http://www.apple.com/promo/

22. lukoson macrumors member

nice! thanks.

23. labman thread starter macrumors 604

labman

Btw just to add

I put t in 4 boxes each inside the other box and each gift wrapped so it should be pretty entertaining!

24. therealkaizoku macrumors newbie

I just got rid of my free 8GB for $190 on craigslist, so that price for a 16GB isn't too bad.

I live in a small town (pop. ~20,000) though, which is probably why I was able to get more for it than someone living in a larger city.

25. GRuizMD macrumors regular

iPhone & touch for sale here

The student promo. I will be getting my wife's MacBook pro today along with an iPod touch that I'm willing to sell for a price lower than the OP is telling us. I also have a brand new 2nd gen 16gb white iPhone on original box that I want to sell too whoever is interested pm me. I'm a physician who has been a member of mcrumors for 2+ years. No scamming here.