Someone set me straight on email

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chupa Chupa, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

For some reason I can't POP and IMAP straight. With Macs automatically retrieving mail even when sleeping I frequently get mail on my iPhone only to see it disappear seconds later -- it ends up on my Mac.

So what do I need to do so that all email shows up in all of my devices and never deletes until I delete it?

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

All of my accounts are IMAP and the emails are available on all devices until they get deleted.

3. MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

Curious, what mail provider are you having issues with?

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

POP email will be downloaded to a single device. Sounds like you may have your account on your phone set up so that it is able to get the pop notification but then the iMac downloads the message from the server so it's 'gone' and can't be seen on the iPhone. You want to switch your configuration on your iMac to using IMAP instead which will download a local copy to the Mac, but leave the server copy there so you can also read it on other devices.

5. Chupa Chupa thread starter macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I only have my Gmail accounts on all my devices, but I don't think it's Gmail related, just the way my accounts are set up.

Thanks. I'll try that.