Someone stole my iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fthree, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Fthree macrumors 6502a

Today while at the mall my phone was taken from me. I had my wife immediately call and it went straight to voicemail. I went across the street to best buy and logged into my iCloud and waited until they turned it back on to locate. They turned it back on and i promptly erased it, called ATT/blacklisted it, and filed a police report. Changed most of my account stuff. Sucks. Loved that phone. anyone else have this happen?

2. chaofahn macrumors member

chaofahn

I don't know about nuking it man. Could've sent a message demanding it back, saying that you've screenshotted their location and that you won't press charges as long as they return it to you.

My mother in law left her iPhone 5 in a public toilet. We used iCloud to send a message to the phone saying "Please return this phone to the reception desk, otherwise we will call the police. Alternatively, reach us on (other number)." 30 minutes later, we got a phone call from an old man, who claimed he "found" the phone and was at a pawn shop so that "he could return the phone to its rightful owner." Yeah right.

A few minutes later, another man (who apparently was the owner of the pawn shop) gave us his address so that we could get back the phone. iCloud saved us a couple of $$$ and security headaches.

3. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah i know i could have done something like that, the area where it came up in was a very intense area and i didnt feel like trying to meddle with getting it back. All i wanted to do is make sure they couldn't get my data. The cop said that if they try to activate it somewhere the place would keep it and call me but other than them trying to do that it'll be at best a music player for them.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

sucks broh. You didn't mention how did they take it?

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi

Unfortunately I have had an iPhone pick pocketed from me but the thief knew enough to keep it turned off #

I ended up sending the usual remote wipe commands and message offering an avenue to return it, and contacted my Network Provider to have its Imei number blacklisted.

Thankfully now we also have 'Activation Lock' as another line of security.

I had the 4 digit passcode lock activated as well as my sim pin lock too.

6. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

i must have put it down to look at some shoes or something. Sucks. I didn't realize i could put it into lost mode, i panicked and wiped it as soon as i could. I did call att and they blacklisted it (i don't exactly know how that works or if it does) and when reporting it to the cops they stated that its going to be useless because both they and att would put it out there that it is stolen and no pawn shop etc would purchase it. I just wonder if they do go in and try and its run through the database if the people that are asked to run it find out will they keep it and turn it in?

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

The iPhone will have activation lock to stop anyone else using their SIM card in the iPhone,and as you know Imei blocking further stops its use and lists it as lost/stolen.

The person then either has an expensive iPod or sells it for parts maybe if they are adamant on not returning it to the rightful owner.

8. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I had my iPhone 4 stollen by a pick pocket. The thief never turned it on so o could never activate the locking mechanism and in those days I stupidly didn't even have a password on my lock screen. To top it all off I didn't have insurance.

OP I'm really sorry this happened. I really hope you have insurance.