Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrben823

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
Durham, NC
Hey everyone. New to the forums, but been a reader of MacRumors for a few months now...

I've been using a PC for years (but my first computer was a Macintosh LC 475, and I loved it!), and I've finally realized that I am a Mac user at heart. Financial constraints have prevented me purchasing a new Mac in the past few months, but I'm now ready to drop some cash for a 24" iMac with a RAM upgrade and the 7600 GT graphics card. However, I don't need this computer...I will in a few months when I go to film school (for Final Cut, etc), but I don't really need it now. I really love the specs and form-factor of the 24" iMac, and I'm afraid if they update the line I won't like the new look. (It's happened before...I didn't like the iMac pod/flatpanel-on-the-arm style.)

I'm ready to buy it, I just need someone to talk me into it! I know I'll love it...I just can't overcome my instincts telling me they'll be an announcement any day now...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
No offense but if you need to be talked into something then don't buy it. You know what you want and when you want it so why not wait and if they do come out with something new and you hate it then great for you because the price of the 24" will go down.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I think u should adjust your attitude towards computer and their upgrade. its a computer, u buy it when u need it or like it, and when u have money. forget upgrade, which happen every 6 months to a year.

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
I'd say ignore the first two replies... it seems like you want the computer. It's a great computer, and best of all, it runs the greatest operating system. If you're set on what you want (in other words, not a laptop + monitor combo), then go buy it.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Buy it. It runs the one application you need in film school: final cut.

As an added bonus OS X also has insanely fun applications like a web browser and email client! Including a calculator too, sounds like hours of fun :D

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
I will smack you in the face with my hand if you do not buy it.

Have I talked you in to it yet?

Seriously, though, it's a great computer, and you'll have a blast using it. I know it's hard to make the switch sometimes, but I finally did, and after toying with some PC's while moving over to the Mac side, I finally gave them all up and am much happier for it. They are great machines, you'll be very happy.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If you're worried, just do it in a few months when you need it. Just remember that in a few months, it's even MORE likely that some sort of update will happen a few months after your purchase, as you'll be getting closer to WWDC in June, where Leopard may be released.

But if an update happens in a few months, you still won't be happy by purchasing now.

You'll never be happy.

Have a nice day. :)

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
It makes absolutely NO SENSE to buy this machine if you don't need it NOW. Buy it when you need it. Why?

1) The price might go down.
2) The specs. might go up.
3) The form factor might change...which means the price on the one you like will go down.

Never never never buy a computer before you need it. They loose value incredibly fast.

Just my two cents...

ricksbrain

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2005
Miami, FL
I think wanting to be talked into buying this is more about enjoying the emotional build-up of it all. Reading forums for months, posting to ask for advice. You know you already bought one. Now just fork over the cash. :D

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
The decision behind the first one is more often than not irrational.

Once you've bought one and have already switched, you can afford to sit back through releases and figure that the improvement is not that big anyway.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
as it was mentioned before, if you need to be talked into it, you probably shouldn't buy it. if you wait, you'll likely get leopard, ilife 07, possibly better specs or just more stuff. if you really don't need it, it couldn't hurt to wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.