Someone thinks their B&W is valuable and very rare...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by poiihy, Jan 8, 2015.

1. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

2. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Geez... that PowerMac G3 is in amazing condition! It IS rare to see one that looks like it just came out of the box.

That being said, $2000 is so stupid... Even if they were selling a PowerMac G3 that had never been opened before, $2000 is beyond steep. Ugh, I hate when non-collectors/enthusiasts drive-up the prices.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

"MUSUEM QUALITY" because it still has a couple shipping protectors on it. For that price it aught to be NIB :p

I don't think people actually buy these. At least I hope not.

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Admittedly that is a really nice B&W, especially considering that it still has all the protective plastic on it. The 15" LCD is a really nice bonus, too, as it was a premium option at the time(the default monitor was a 17" CRT). I don't recall seeing that many B&W LCDs.

If I were buying, I'd probably pay a pretty decent premium for this one over a run-of-the-mill B&W. It's nowhere near a $2K computer, though. Depending on how good of a mood I was in and how much free cash I had, I might go as high as $100 on this one, but that would be pushing it for me.

Of course, I should add the caveat that my best G3 is probably 95% this nice cosmetically and came with the original documentation, install media and the internal accessories box-all of which are missing here. Mine didn't have the plastic on the case, and also had the 17" CRT. Mine was free, though :)

My other two B&Ws were a little under $3 each(bought in a bulk lot of G3 and G4 towers) so I'm a bit spoiled on B&W prices.

5. poiihy thread starter macrumors 68020

poiihy

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The logic board isn't even included. The description clearly states:

Of course misrepresented by the photos that appear to show a fully functional machine.

7. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

For that price, you'd think he could have replaced the logic board battery before listing it. And... it says OS 9 is installed on a 250 GB hard drive, which is kind of misleading when you consider that a single partition is limited to 120 GB because of the B&W G3's hardware.

If I really wanted this machine, I would consider throwing him about a tenth of what he is asking. This guy is just hoping some sucker comes along and hits the "Buy It Now" button. Sadly, this isn't the only seller I've seen with an original "still in the box/shrinkwrap" Mac that's asking a ridiculous price.

Check out this listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-COLLECTORS-Apple-eMac-1903-17-Desktop-M9425LL-A-April-2004-/161524092701?pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item259b960f1d

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I missed the hard drive specs.

If I'm buying one that's this(supposedly) original I want a 12gb Quantum Fireball(or whatever the OEM drive in these was-that's just what mine has in it). Whatever it has, it should have an Apple on the sticker.

Come to think of it, I think that I have all of the plastic stickers that came on the B&W I got for free-they're just folded up in the box and not still on the computer.

9. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

The Blue and White was the first mac I ever got. I still have it.

I have never seen the blue version of the lcd panel, would love to have one of those for mine.

I have modded mine quite a bit, it has a PC Power & Cooling PSU since original died, Powerlogix 1.1ghz G3 cpu, 1gig ram, VooDoo5 5500 mac edition video card, 2x 80gig drives, and runs 9.2.2. Games like Unreal, and Unreal tournament run amazing on the voodoo5 card.

10. TBerk macrumors newbie

11. AlecZ macrumors 65816

AlecZ

They only drive it up if they buy. I seriously doubt anyone will buy this, but I did know a guy who paid $300 for an N64.

12. Andropov macrumors regular

Andropov

The screen is actually a bit rare.

I agree it's in excellent condition, but 2000$? No one will ever buy this (however, if someone actually does, he would have a really nice computer).

13. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I realize that nobody will buy it, but non-collectors constantly over-price items.

14. redhatcode29 macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

True...its e same scenario over here.... A guy wants 2k for an Imac g4, coz it brings him down memory lane !

Annother dumbass mistook his PowerMac G5 for MacPro...and was adamant that his price was fair...

I feel like slapping em....damn annoying :mad:

15. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

$2000 for an iMac G4? Where did you see that?

16. poiihy thread starter macrumors 68020

poiihy

Let's all not forget that $4,000 iBook :rolleyes:

17. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

...? Quid?

18. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Ok, that I want to know about.

19. poiihy thread starter macrumors 68020

poiihy

20. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

That IS pretty amazing that he has an iBook G4 that has never been opened. I am sure not many exist at all. That being said, yeah, that's a terrible price.

21. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

When I see that a particular seller consistently gets crazy prices on sold items, I always wonder if perhaps those are false sales to launder money.

Not making any particular accusations in this case, but just something that always crosses my mind.

22. redhatcode29 macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

It was in a local weBsite in my place...That add has expired, but take a look a few similar ones...

This guy ,,,has a fluty g4 :p (as in faulty) which is for rm500, probably he thought that people will be jumping to buy his 'fluty' Mac!

Attached Files:

23. redhatcode29 macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

And this bunch of faulty items and parts for rm990.... Actually his white imac was semi faulty initially, i offered him a price which he declined...he wanted rm600...luckily i ddnt buy it..nw its totally dead

Attached Files:

24. redhatcode29 macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

...Sorry guys....when i post frm my ipad, i cant seem to attach all pics in a single post!

Another faulty imac for rm650...

Attached Files:

25. weckart macrumors 68040

Speaking as someone who used to investigate money laundering, it would make zero sense in this case. $25k for a pair of iPods? That is is not money laundering but it is definitely criminal.