Someone tried to break into my place today.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by runplaysleeprun, Feb 12, 2009.

1. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

At like 1 in the afternoon, my girlfriend and I was sitting watching a movie, when we heard glass breaking. I ran to our back door and looked out the window, and saw nothing, then went into my roommates room to see if there was anything going on in there, and there was nothing. During this, my girlfriend was yelling at me not to go in, and that we should leave out the front door. I walked to another window, and saw someone in a hood leaving the courtyard of my building and walking down the alley. My girlfriend came and looked out the back door, and saw that there was broken glass next to the door, from my roommates window. When I saw this, I called the cops and realized that the person I saw walking away was the person who just tried to break in. I gave a quick description to the person on the phone, and freaked out a bit for a few minutes. It took about 10 minutes before the cops knocked on my door, but when they did, they had the guy I saw outside my place again. I said that it did indeed look like the guy. They said they couldn't book him on attempted robbery because I technically didn't directly see him break the window, but they could get him on trespassing.

So, a little freaked out. I've installed a few more window sensor alarms (I already had this installed, but not on this particular window) around my place, and my landlord stopped by a few hours later and put some bars over this window. Cops called me an hour or so after they left with the guy and gave me a court date. Is it worth it to pursue this? What, I wonder, is trespassing punishable by? I know the guy already was on parole for robbery. Giving my girlfriend credit, it was probably her yelling at me that alerted him that people were home and made him leave.

Maybe time to move.

2. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

i had almost the same prob, not exactly but i have had my window broken in da middle of the night, scary. well mystory is this lady just broke with her bf who was living in our garage so one night she got all coked up and started breaking our door with a pick ax, i panicked and grapbbed a bat, eventually cops showed and took her away, i said to myself i wasnt gonna press charges cus ddint wnt the hassle of going 2 court and her sons are gangsters, but somehow a lady at the court told me i had to go to court and press charges, so i did. im nt sure if she lied to me but i ended pressing charges, she got 5 years now,

3. Keebler macrumors 68030

i would go to court. given his past, he's probably on probation so trespassing may send him away.

4. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

No fun- I've had my vehicle broken into. It shakes your sense of security and trust. Sounds like you did a good job of managing!

5. schizoidwoman macrumors regular

On top of a steep hill in West Yorkshire.
    My car was broken into years ago and it's true, it DOES rattle your sense of security and your own personal space, so I can't imagine what it's like if it happens to your home. I know you say you freaked out but it sounds to me as if you dealt with it all in a really calm way, I think I would've been like your girlfriend raising the roof if it were me!

6. runplaysleeprun thread starter macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Haha, I'm a firefighter in Chicago, so we're trained to deal with stressful situations.

Just an odd thought, has anybody heard of "retribution" for anyone showing up to court against someone for something like this?

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I have a warm feeling inside knowing if someone breaks into my place my dog will alarm me of the break in and if he/she proceeds to break in after hearing the dog they will be dead. I don't aim to wound. :)

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

That thought occurred to me too. He knows where you live, that's for sure.

But to not show up sends the wrong message.

It is a Catch 22, for sure, but I would opt for being strong, and saying FU!!!

9. Numbers macrumors newbie

Wow, very scary stuff indeed. Has this type of thing happened before to you or your neighborhood?

If I were you, I wouldn't be able to sleep soundly for many weeks to come. I'm very paranoid when it comes to robbers, trespasses, thieves, etc.

10. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

yeah, I was thinking the same thing... especially knowing how crazy some people can be now-a-days. A big dog like a german shepherd might be a good investment, of course along w/ beefing up your security system. IMHO tho, two words...personal sniper (the crook won't know what hit em :) Literally!!!)

11. runplaysleeprun thread starter macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Its a half decent neighborhood, but its pretty close to an absolute crap neighborhood. Near Taylor/Western if anyone knows where that is in Chicago.

12. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

And thats why I have my own home defense System. Its called a Glock 22 and a Mossberg 12 Gauge. I will wait for him to enter my home, and then wait for the cops to cart off his body. As entering my home will be the last thing he does.

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You live in Texas, don't you?

14. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Is there any other place to live :)

15. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

Amen.

I live in Chicagoland now. Home defense system = Mossberg model 500, Glock 17, Ruger .44mag, and if all else fails, the AR-15 with .556.

16. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Time for a trip to bass pro :D

I was eyeing a taurus 24/7 in .40

17. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Fixed.

18. trule macrumors 6502

If I could I would use this for my alarm system...gold plated desert eagle

Attached Files:

19. runplaysleeprun thread starter macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

I'd be packing, but its illegal to carry any firearm in the city of chicago I believe.

20. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

"Illinois has some of the most restrictive firearm laws in the country.

To possess or purchase firearms or ammunition, Illinois residents must have a Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card, which is issued by the state police.[59] Generally an FOID will be granted unless the applicant has been convicted of a felony or an act of domestic violence, is the subject of an order of protection, has been convicted of assault or battery or been a patient in a mental institution within the last five years, or has been adjudicated as a mental defective.[60] There are additional requirements for applicants under the age of 21.[61]

There is no state preemption of firearm laws. Some municipalities, most notably Chicago, require that all firearms be registered with the local police department.[62] Chicago does not allow the registration of handguns, which has the effect of outlawing their possession, unless they were grandfathered in by being registered before April 16, 1982.[63][64] The Chicago suburb of Oak Park also has banned handguns,[65] and Highland Park bars handgun possession unless the resident has obtained a permit from the police.[66] The status of these various handgun bans has been uncertain since June 26, 2008, when the U.S. Supreme Court struck down Washington, D.C.'s handgun ban in the case of District of Columbia v. Heller.[67][68] Chicago and Oak Park have indicated that they will fight in court to keep their current laws,[69][70][71][72] but in the months following the Heller decision, handgun bans were repealed in the suburbs of Wilmette,[73] Morton Grove,[74] Evanston,[75] and Winnetka.[76]

Cook County has banned assault weapons and magazines that can hold more than ten rounds of ammunition.[77] Other municipalities have also enacted various firearm restrictions.[78] Lack of preemption makes it difficult to travel throughout Illinois with a firearm while being sure that no laws are being broken.

Illinois is one of two remaining states that have no provision for the concealed carry of firearms by citizens. Open carry is also illegal, except when hunting, or when in unincorporated areas where carrying is not prohibited by county law. When a firearm is being transported, it must be unloaded and enclosed in a case.[79]

When purchasing a handgun in Illinois, there is a 72 hour waiting period after the sale before the buyer can take possession. The waiting period for long guns is 24 hours.[79]"

~WIKI

21. kali-shey macrumors newbie

kali-shey

LOL! That was my thought, too :p

I was born in Oregon but have lived in TX off and on during the last 10 years.... people down here know that if you break into someone's home, your @$$ is likely to get a bullet in it.

We have a security system... but we also have one of Dad's shot guns.

I love Texas :D

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Always fun to watch the repoman shows from TX...

See guy hook the car.

See the guy pull out the gun and shoot at the truck

See the police come and the guy gets his car back and is told to go home. :p

23. runplaysleeprun thread starter macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

So, just no handguns then? Rifles are cool?

24. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Some of those alarms that you can buy to stick on the windows doors and if they receive a knock they make a loud beep, not exactly a USA solution but a bit of an early warning, we have them in the grounds too , kind of like a trip wire but infa red , sends an signal to the control panel which sets of an alarm and switches cameras on etc ,also strategically placed motion sensor cameras which take pics on movement and then load pics direct to a server of your choice are good for evidence....