Someone used my mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ultimateceej, Jul 24, 2007.

1. ultimateceej macrumors regular

ultimateceej

I left my macbook pro with a group of friends to go to a doctors appointment today only to find out that someone had been using it. Is there any way to find out exactly what was done or opened? Sorry if this has been posted before.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Under the Apple menu there's "Recent items"
    That's show what apps or file have been used recently (Last 10 of each I think)

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Well you could analyze what programs are now open compared to when you left. Check the history of your web browser. Look at the applications folder to see if there are any new apps installed.

4. ultimateceej thread starter macrumors regular

ultimateceej

Hmmm... thanks for the info. There was no new history from my web browser but Automator was open when I got back. Unfortunately, I've opened at least 10 files/apps since then so the recent items menu is too up-to-date!! Is there a log file somewhere that can show me what happened during that time?

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You could try system.log and console.log

6. ultimateceej thread starter macrumors regular

ultimateceej

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

8. polycat33 macrumors 6502

Isn't there somewhere where you can change the number of recent items that show? I don't know if increasing the number after the fact would show that number or if it actually forgets after the number you had set at the time... or if the post above me is a better way to do it.

9. ultimateceej thread starter macrumors regular

ultimateceej

Yeah, go to System Prefs > Appearance. I tried changing that too but it doesn't work. Every time i log out and come back, all three (Apps, Docs, Servers) are set back to the default 10. Any ideas??

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hmm, it should definitely remember your settings there. Maybe it's worth a permission repair, but that might also blow away some history.

11. ultimateceej thread starter macrumors regular

ultimateceej

Think i figured it out... I had to clear the recent items first and then change the numbers. Works fine now. :apple: :)

12. AppleGuy2 macrumors newbie

let this be a lesson...you should set your mac to require a password when it awakes from sleep, or if it is off, on startup...that will keep it from happening again :)

13. ultimateceej thread starter macrumors regular

ultimateceej

Agreed.

14. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

Or maybe get some friends that you trust not to do silly things with your machine. I mean you left it with them, they had a look, what's the problem.