Someone using a 13 RMBP as audio, video work station?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TSM, Sep 24, 2015.

1. TSM macrumors member

Any insights on using a 13" rMBP for video and audio editing?
    I mean, prefearable from people who has been / is actually doing it...
    Thank you all!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

With what programs? Hobby or professional level, what kind of work are you talking about exactly? It's pretty much impossible to answer your post without more info.

Kind of like saying: Anyone towed anything with their car? I only want opinions of people who've towed stuff. The correct answer would be: What are you going to be towing? That should point you to the correct car for the job.

3. TSM thread starter macrumors member

: D
    Thank you for answering.
    I am trying to avoid the theoretical debate around this, asking for people who actually uses a RMBP 13" as an editing tool, to figure out how far can you go with it.
    Let´s say video + audio on FCPX. I´ve already noticed the screen real state is kind of tight. But you can use other screens alongside (even ipad's).
    About the "professional" concept, it may be kind of loose.
    As an example: they've been talking about "pro" 4k video editing on the new ipad pro, but it´s kind of common talk to say as well that, for "real video work", you'll need the 4 cores of a 15" RMBP at least. Now, a maxed out 13" should be pretty much above the former.
    Just want to know if there's people out there working on serious video projects with 13" machines. My brand new one is a 16GB, i7, 1Tb.
    Of course, let's put aside uber-complex digital effects.
    But yeah, independent movie works, fiction or documentary.
    Again, just wondering if there's people working with one of those, real towing case scenarios.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Well it's a given that the quad core in a 15" will run circles around the 13", it is roughly twice as fast for all intents and purposes. So no, even with the i7 upgrade, the 13" can't touch the 15"

You can edit on pretty much anything, it all depends on how much waiting while rendering you can put up with.

If the performance suits you, then you're fine.

5. VesselA macrumors regular

the 13" runs logic pro fine, I've had over 16 tracks running with no problems connected to an external display
    Video editting is more limited as there is some lag with 4K video, but you can edit 1080p video smoothly with no issues
    one big advantage for me, especially with music production, is that the 13" runs totally silent even with many tracks in logic pro running, whereas the 15" fans kick in more often due to the more powerful processor, which can be an annoying distraction
    you can also run many browser tabs and watch 4K video or 1080p youtube full screen on external display without the fan noise - this is the entry level 13" - if you spec out the 13" there may be more fan noise issues