Something akin to Microsoft Streets & Trips?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JPaterson, Mar 21, 2009.

1. JPaterson macrumors newbie

I need something that's similar to Microsoft Streets & Trips, in that I can plot directions or locate someplace without needing to be connected to the Internet (since driving will drop and acquire repeatedly and be unreliable), or utilize GPS.

I've heard of Route 66 but heard mostly bad things so not going to bother.

Can anyone recommend a program? I'm new to Mac's, just recently bought the new 13" white Macbook and loving it.

Should add that I don't care whether it's a program in itself, or a desktop widget.

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

At this time, nothing that will match the MS programs. The alternative, is google maps.

3. gasport macrumors 6502

gasport

This is unfortunate as Windows has several great programs including Delorme Street Atlas USA 2009. You can do so much more with these programs than with Google Maps, which I like. Mac software lacks in several categories and this is one as is most GPS software and mapping software.

4. johndoe588 macrumors regular

I've been playing around for a few weeks now with RouteBuddy. Still getting used to it. It's a bit different from Streets & Trips or Street Atlas. It's also quite a bit more expensive. At routebuddy.com you can download a demo, but it has maps for only a very small area. Give it a try and see how you like it. The developers in the UK respond promptly to email questions. I want to like it, and I like to support Mac developers, but I usually end up using S&T on XP in Fusion. I'll keep at it though, and I'm sure I'll catch on eventually.

John B.

5. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Additional note, if you use Bootcamp, parallels or another program to run windows on your Mac, you can use ANY of the windows based programs and GPS devices.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

I loved DeLorme Street Atlas, but it was I think it was one of the few programs I really missed when I switched from Windows to OSx. I don't want to go to all the hassle of bootcamp or vmware just to get Street Atlas.

7. Mariadelag macrumors newbie

JPaterson - what did you decide for Streets and Maps?

JPaterson, (and anyone else who is using Streets and Maps on the Mac),

I am investing in a franchise and have to have something like Streets and Maps to be able to do the job...and I have a Mac so was wondering what solution you implemented and how is it working for you?