Something Better Than an Apple TV

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gillilandboy, Dec 8, 2007.

1. gillilandboy macrumors 6502

Hello all,

I am looking for something kind of like the Apple TV and the Xbox 360. I want to be able to stream movies from my macbook to the device and have it have in HD quality via HDMI or component. So basically what I want is an Apple TV like device but I can throw all different formats at it and it will play it.

I am really tired so sorry if none of this makes since. I tired to explain it best I can please post if you have any questions.

P.S. - It does not need to sync all movies and songs from iTunes just let me play them. Also I don't need a hard drive but one would be nice.

2. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Probably your best bet is to go with the AppleTV and hack it so that it will support files such as DivX etc...

Check out:

AppleTVHacks

Plus there are loads of others if you Google it.

3. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

4. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I had a mac mini setup and I just found it too much. I suppose it depends what you want it for. I used an eyeTV with my mini but all the hassle with moving shows I had recorded from my mini to my MacPro was such a drag I ditched the mini and I am waiting to see if we get an updated AppleTV in January.

5. gillilandboy thread starter macrumors 6502

I would love to go with a mac mini but my HDTV doesn't have a VGA out. Only HDMI and component. Is it hard to hack the ATV? Is it harder than hacking the iPhone because that is the only "hacking" I know how to do.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The mini doesn't have VGA out either. It is DVI, so all you need to connect a mini to your TV is a DVI to HDMI cable.

7. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

8. gillilandboy thread starter macrumors 6502

How would a slingbox do what I want? I want to stream videos to my TV via my computer. The slingbox does the reverse of that.

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Really? I use my Mini Media Center with Front Row and works like a charm. The key is simplicity. I have Automator and Applescripts moving all downloaded files automatically, so I don't have to bother with keeping **** organized.

10. gillilandboy thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know if this would work but what I am thinking about doing is buying a PS3. I could then put linux on it and then play the movies off there and they would all be in HD and I wouldn't have to worry about formats. I am hoping this will work.

11. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

If you want to go all out and do that with a ps3 you might as well buy an apple tv. It does not take that much to move your divX files to apple tv files. Or you can just hack the much cheaper appleTv.

12. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I have done this actually. Running VLC on YDL. The nice thing was that I was able to transfer files via the YDL terminal to the PS3. But nowadays the firmware for the PS3 has been up dated considerably and I think you can stream video directly to the PS3. I say its a good idea. Cause not only does it play movies, it has some pretty killer games!

I think an AppleTV is a bad idea IMO, just too limited and hacking it is a real PITA.

13. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Why not just get an Xbox 360 then? With Connect360 you can stream almost all non-DRM videos from your Macbook to it, as well as all your photos and non-DRM iTunes music, and there is no hacking required.

14. Fooj macrumors member

Playstation 3

The playstation 3, as it now supports DivX on the latest firware upgrade 2.10, and a blu ray dvd player, once it adds Digital video recording via an add on later into the new year, it could be the best all round package!