Something discouraging...LINUX

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedCroissant, Dec 28, 2015.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

So I just received a gift from the same person that gave me a bunch of other stuff as well before (a "dead" DELL Vostro 200). It shipped with Vista Business but the HDD was erased, so I installed Ubuntu 14.04.

It has a 250GB HDD, 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo, and 2 GB RAM and I LIKE it...a lot actually. It's not OS X by any means but so far the most important sites that I visit all load considerably faster, the computer boots faster, and I like the GUI. Even the Apple Certification training site works better (and to be honest is the main reason why I really like this setup)

Now, this is not to say that I am going to forget OS X at all, I am just going to make this machine into a Hackintosh and put Snow Leopard on it once I upgrade the RAM to 4GB. But honestly, I find this surprising given the age of the computer.

The part that's discouraging is that my PowerMac G5 is now something that I need to really update/upgrade.

2. mzs.112000 macrumors regular

Ubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, Lubuntu, all run on PowerPC, so you could use them on your PowerMac

3. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

apart from the fact that PowerPC nvidia cards have problems and no 3D acceleration in Linux... (I assume his quad has a Nvidia card since only one ATI card existed for the PCIE G5 and its very rare) his PowerBook G4 may run Linux Ok (could do with more ram tho)

4. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

That's just it though, I've known about those distros and the fact that they will run on my hardware (sort of).

This is the problem that I see and why I would have to do some things and some tweaking to make sure the graphics card is recognized properly. I'm not against it at all, and one of the things that I considered since I enjoy using Linux a lot. It's just that I enjoy OS X a lot more. What's discouraging is that the operating system that was meant for my machine is no longer supported to the extent that a PPC fork of Ubuntu is the most viable thing right now which is the real discouraging thing about it.

And yes, the PB could do with a lot more RAM but paying for it is the tough thing and getting that machine back to a real working laptop is my goal. 3 things are on my list for that machine..RAM, battery, PRAM battery. Once I have those, that machine will be my primary and I can either sell my PowerMac or keep it and use it as a a server of sorts.