Something fell out of my iMac.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Xandros, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Xandros macrumors regular

This actually happened years ago. Actually, it was probably nearly ten years ago, but it's one of those things that I occasionally remember and then promptly forget to enquire about, however this time I actually put my mind to asking the question when I was reminded of it, better late than never I guess.

Essentially, I have an iMac DV 400 (the 2001 Indigo model that was also available in Ruby with a Slot Loading CD-ROM). One day many moons ago, I moved it for some reason or another, and this yellow chip fell out of it. I had no idea what it was, what it did, where it came from, nor did I really care as the iMac still worked fine (and it still does to this day, to a point).

Today, I had the RAM access bay open as I was inspecting the module and I noticed this (note the vague red circled area):

IMG_0894.JPG

The thing that fell out of the iMac looked just like those and since there's a missing one in between I'm fairly sure that's where it came from. So what is it? Does anyone know? Like I say the iMac works fine and dandy to a point - the CD-ROM drive is kaput though (runs, just won't read discs and eventually spits them out) and the monitor is getting a bit long in the tooth, but other than that I've never encountered any issues with it so whatever the chip is, it can't be that important.

Attached Files:

2. harrymatic macrumors 6502

It's a capacitor - probably what's known as a bypass or decoupling cap. It smooths out voltage transients, presumably for the large ICs near it on the board. I wouldn't worry about it, the other problems you describe would be completely unrelated.

3. Xandros thread starter macrumors regular

4. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Side note: thats a clean logic board :)

5. Possumgal macrumors member

Possumgal

Have you tried a cleaning disc for the CD reader? If the laser gets dusty it will spit out everything.

6. Xandros thread starter macrumors regular

Funnily enough I thought that too when I opened up the cover. It was always in a very dusty room too. I can only imagine it's stayed so clean due to either the fact that is technically the underside of the board (the top side might be a different story), or it's because the iMac is convection cooled and doesn't have a fan sucking in lots of lovely dust.

I haven't, no. I suppose I could try it but I have a external Firewire DVD Rewriter that works fine and dandy so if I ever needed to mount a CD I just used that, though since the iMac's been relegated to just an email machine now I haven't actually needed to put a disc in it for nearly five years.