something i don't get [Why Messages and FaceTime don't have buddy lists]

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by grahamie, Mar 8, 2013.

1. grahamie macrumors newbie

Apple seems to have no idea how to get people using a few of its apps.

Messages (iMessage) and Facetime in particular.

The stupid thing about these apps is that there is no "Buddy List" to know who else has it. I have no idea which of my friends have iMessage or Facetime, so how can I possibly use these apps? I go on Skype or Whatsapp or Viber, or others, and I know how has them and it's way more convenient.

What are they thinking trying to make these apps without buddy lists?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Messages can send messages to iPhone and non-iPhone users. You can text/message anyone you want. If they do not have an iPhone, the Send button and text bubble will be green, and will send as a normal text message. If they have an iPhone, the Send button and text bubble will be blue, and will send as a message across your wifi/data connection.

When you try to text someone, you will immediately know if they have an iPhone or not. You can then save their number as an iPhone number. From there, it will be easy to tell which of your contacts have an iPhone, making it easy to know who you can Facetime.

3. grahamie thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, i know that...but it's just stupid. Even if you can save a number as an "iPhone number", there's still no way to get a consolidated list of iPhone numbers on your phone, making it impossible to get an idea of who you can iMessage with.

This is why nobody really cares about these apps and everyone just uses whatsapp or one of the others..

oh well.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Every person I know that has an iPhone uses the Messages app. Plus, if you know someone well enough to FaceTime them, then you probably know that they have an iPhone.

Not knowing whether someone has an iPhone or not does not make the Messages app any less useful. With it, you can text anyone. Apps like Whatsapp can only message other people with that app. How is that any easier than an app that can send a message to anyone with a phone?

5. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

it can detect a user has imessage and turn blue.... id like to detect if i a user has facetime, and if they dont then remove the button

6. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Everyone uses whatsapp? I actually do not know one person who uses that. Everyone that i know that has an iphone uses imessage. Who cares if i know which has an iphone or not. If they dont it will just send as a normal text. Why would that even matter?

7. grahamie thread starter macrumors newbie

outside the usa, it's way bigger. and i need something for international texts, which are not fee usually.

8. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

something i don't get [Why Messages and FaceTime don't have buddy lists]

I understand now, i was comparing it to the US where iOS is much more popular then android. Actually almost everyone i know has an iPhone so for me it wouldn't matter knowing who does or does not have one. Outside the US it would be more important. Sorry for the misunderstanding.