Something I have been thinking about????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlkHammer, Sep 14, 2014.

1. BlkHammer macrumors regular

We all know that the iPhone 6 and 6Plus have larger battery capacities. I wonder if the chargers we get with the phones will be updated to charge the devices faster, or at the current time rate the 5s and below charge at. Just something to ponder and talk about. The iPhone 6plus most likely has a battery twice the size of the iPhone 5s and I would not like for it to charge twice as long.

2. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

Not entirely true.

The 5S has a 1570 mAh battery.
    The 6 has an 1810 mAh. Part of the reason for the increase in battery life is the more efficient CPU.
    The 6Plus is rumored to have a 2915 mAh battery ... we'll have to see on that one. If it does, yes, it'll take longer to charge, but the reality is the phones charge pretty darned fast anyway... a little extra time for all that juice won't be too bad.

3. Ayr macrumors 6502

Good point, I forgot about that. Samsung went mental on this (I watched their presentation two weeks back). They can charge a Note 4 from 0 to 50% in about 30 mins with the regular charger.

That's sweet if you're doing stuff like trekking or touring and only have a short town break (I know people don't care much, but it's good for me and the missus).

4. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

According to Apple's website it's the same 5W charger unfortunately.

5. BlkHammer thread starter macrumors regular

Well the 6plus is "rumored" to be close to double the capacity of the 5s so I wasn't to far off. Either way I am still super excited.

6. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

Whoops. I didn't catch that you specified the plus in your original post. My bad.

Still, with how fast the 5S charges, even double the time won't be bad.

7. Markyboy81 macrumors 6502a

Isn't it the Amps that matter? I mean the note 3 comes with a 2a charger which charges the phone in around 1.5 hours, whereas it seems the note 4 will have a 3a charger. So maybe the new iPhone will come with a higher amp charger too.

8. BlkHammer thread starter macrumors regular

This is something that I was hoping for. We won't know until we get our devices I guess. :cool:

9. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

A slow charge would be a pain. My i5 charges rrrreal fast and it's one of the plus points to ownership. Being able to get a 50% charge in half an hour-or-so is brilliant. It would be a shame if the 6+ took an hour to reach 35% or something.

10. Souskei, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

Souskei macrumors member

If you have an iPad charger, I would use that instead.

These Lithium battery's in the iPhone are of high quality, and should be able to charge AT LEAST at 5c the capacity without doing any damage to battery memory or life of the battery.

Meaning (for ease of explanation)..

Let's say the iPhone 6 has a 1amp battery (1000mah) it will take a 1 amp output charger to the charge that battery from 0 too 100 in one hour.

The C rating (and again I assume since these are high quality batteries in the iPhone... has to be and least a 5c rating, some Lipo and lith ion batts have upwards to 50c or more ratings) is how many times the rating of the battery can be safely charged by the output rating of the charger.

The C stands for charge rate. And EVERY rechargeable battery has its own Charge rate.
    The higher the quality of battery - the less internal resistance the battery has, meaning it can be charged safely at a higher rate. And keep its voltage for the duration of the cycle (meaning it'll stay at 4 - 4.2 volts until the battery is at 10 percent or lower)

So if that 1000 mah battery, can be safely charged at 5c, it means a 5amp output charger will take that battery from 0 to 100 in 20 min. (Obviously slower charging will give the battery less strain)

So now let's take the IPhone 6s 1900mah (1.9amp battery) and charge it with the iPads 2amp charger. It will charge that 1.9 amp in that iPhone safely in less than an hour. (Just above a 1C rating - which is beyond safe).

And iPhone plus 2.9 amp battery. You can safely use the iPads charger at 2 amps (which is well below a 1c charge rate) and charge it in about 1 hour 30 mins.

Some batteries used in RC applications are well above 9000mah with a 80 plus C (charge rate) and can be charged with Pro grade chargers in less than 15 min. (Multiply at a time. With series and parallel charging. But that's a whole other thing).

So yes, if the iPhone 6 vanilla and plus come with the same charger as the iPhone 5s, it will take longer. But there are plenty of USB bricks with various amp output ratings you could get on the cheap to safely charge much much faster. If I knew the Exact C rating of the iPhones batteries I could tell you how fast you could charge these things safely.

11. UKapple73 macrumors regular

If that's true then how come my iPhone 5s doesn't charge any faster if I use the iPad 10W charger?

12. Souskei macrumors member

The iPad 10w charger I believe has an amp output rating of only 1.1.

The new 12w iPad chargers have an amp output rating of 2 (or 2.4)

13. UKapple73 macrumors regular

Ok I've just checked my iPad Air charger it's 12w, but it doesn't charge iphone quicker.
    I think the iphone must have a limiting circuit so only draws at 1amp no matter what

14. Azzin, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

Azzin macrumors 68040

A while back I purchased a few cheap (50p) iPad chargers from eBay.

I took them into my local Apple store when I was in there next and exchanged them for iPad 12w chargers for £8 each (instead of the usual £15), as Apple were running a "Let us take your dangerous 3rd party chargers from you" scheme.

I now use them only to charge my iPad Air & my 5S (plus a TwelveSouth Hi Rise dock on my desk, which is just used for my phone) and hopefully, I'll be able to continue using them once my 6+ arrives.

15. Souskei macrumors member

Tbh, that I am unsure of.

I know my iPhone 5 will charge faster with an iPad charger. (Or back up batteries with higher amp ratings than the stock iPhone charger)

Maybe the iPhone 5s (and these new iPhones) limit the amount of amps that it will take. Lithium batteries do become warm when charging above a 1c charge rate sometimes, (although very expensive lithium batteries don't really have that effect). Maybe Apple decide it was better to keep the batteries from getting above room temperatures in an enclosed environment.

----------

This is true.
    I shouldn't have said cheap USB Bricks haha.
    Some of those you get on Dino direct and eBay, the circuitry on the inside is so have assed that you hear buzzing in them and pose a hazard not only to your device, but could potentially burst into flames. The gauge and quality of the wires inside them weren't made to withstand the electricity being pushed through them.

Think of it a lot like jumper cables for your car (Apples OEM chargers) they're thick and well insulated for a reason. They're made to carry the current.

Those cheap USB chargers use thinner gauge wiring to save money and less wraps of them and are being pushed well beyond their intended purpose. Thus, they feel hotter to touch and worse case, explode.

16. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

17. cynics macrumors G4

i = p / v

18. Azzin macrumors 68040

I got that exact charger to take on holidays, nights/trips away and I agree it's fast.

It's has some kind of 'intelligent' device detection and knows when you plug an iPad into a port (doesn't matter which one) and will automatically up its output to 12w (2.1a?).

Can't see us using it at home, because we charge our devices in separate places, but still perfect for trips away.

The other nice thing about it is that it's powered by a "figure of 8" lead, so can easily be used in different countries, by simply changing the lead.

I'm in Jamaica currently and packed my old US Apple TV power lead (that I never thought I'd use as I live in the UK!) to use here.

I've also got a small Anker 3000mAH 'lipstick' type charger, for times when I'm going to be out all day and night, perhaps without easy access to a mains plug.

19. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Hopefully it has a higher amperage charger. I had a oneplus one and my cars USB port wouldn't even charge it.