Something I miss from Android: Universal Share Button

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by DKDonkeyKong, Dec 8, 2014.

1. DKDonkeyKong macrumors newbie

DKDonkeyKong

So, on Android when you go to share content, it basically allows you to open any app you have installed - For instance, i click Share in the gallery, and any app that lets me send a picture is on the list. On my iPhone, there are just pre-defined apps... but for instance, Google Hangouts isnt one of them. I have to open the Hangouts app in order to send pictures.

Is there any chance Apple will open up this list so that third party apps can add to it? It's not just pictures of course - Basically anything, including opening a browser, and everything else...

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It is open. Dunno why Google hasn't put Hangouts on it.

I'm looking at mine and it looks like Flickr and Tumblr have added themselves to the list (in addition to the built-in Facebook and Twitter).

And that's just for 'sharing.' If I go to 'edit' I find that Camera+, Afterlight, and Metaphoto have added themselves there.

So, basically, if there's something you want in the share menu, complain to the developer directly.

3. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I can share a pic or vid with a bunch of places other than those listed, sounds like it's a feature that the app has to support.

4. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I don't see camera+ in mine. Any suggestions?

5. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

This functionality has been available since iOS 6, and greatly expanded in iOS 8. Hangouts needs to register itself as being able to handle the file formats you want to send to it. It's all on Google in this case.

6. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

You also have to enable it in the share menu by pressing more. They don't add themselves to the list. Same with apps that edit pictures in the photos app.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok, so you're looking at a photo in 'Photos.' Hit 'Edit' in the upper right. Press the circle with 3 dots in it at the bottom?

See it yet? If not go to 'More' and turn Camera+ on.

If you still don't see it, make sure you've launched Camera+ at least once so the OS knows it's there. Also go to the app store and make sure you have the most recent version of the app.

8. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

The onus is in the app's developer to support this feature, which is why it will take some time to come. For example, you can now share images from photos directly to pinterest and tumblr (because they implemented the share sheet extension) but not instagram or whatsapp (because the latter hasn't done so yet).

9. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Slightly derailing to vent but add FB Messenger to that list as well. Crazy that these high profile messaging apps haven't added share extensibility yet - despite iOS 8's 3 month beta period and it being a couple of months after public release!

10. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Not just them. I don't know if it's just me being overly-sensitive, but I find that many developers have been quite slow to update their apps to support the new ios8 APIs. I don't know if it's a case of developer fatigue, or it simply being a lot to take in and work on (which means that they are indeed working on it, just that it will take more time, I hope).

Heck, even spotify still hasn't updated their app to support the new iphone6 resolutions.

I mean, features like handoff should be standard (between RSS reader apps at least), as well as support for icloud keychain logins. Let's hope we see them eventually. :)

11. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Bingo! I was looking in the sharing options. Thanks!

12. EvoXOhio macrumors member

Can you post a screenshot please? When I click edit, I see buttons at the bottom. The first is crop, the second is 3 overlapping circles, and the next is a circle with dots around it. None of those have a "more" button.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You need to press that circle with the 3 dots inside of it.

14. EvoXOhio macrumors member

I don't have a circle with 3 dots inside of it. And I've pressed all of the buttons, and none of them do what you're saying. That's why I was hoping you could post a screenshot.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I can't right now. If you don't have the icon then seeing it on my phone won't help you anyway. You've described the line perfectly, I know you're looking in the right place.

Are you on at least iOS 8.1? I thought it worked the same on 8.0 but who knows, maybe it changed in the update and I didn't know.

16. EvoXOhio macrumors member

I'm on 8.1.1

17. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

The circle with 3 dots is on the top left corner of the screen, after you tap on the edit icon.

This is one issue I have - the buttons are all over the place. It makes sense to keep them all in the same location (bottom left corner) so my thumb doesn't need to go tapping all over the place. :confused:

18. EvoXOhio macrumors member

I don't have 3 dots anywhere. See attached screenshot. That's what it looks like after I click edit.

Attached Files:

19. Abazigal, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014

Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Something's not right. You should be seeing something like this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418180370.599892.jpg

Update - I did a test where I deleted all apps that supported extensions and this is the result.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418180616.066156.jpg

I think we have the answer (sort of). It's not showing up as an option because you don't have any apps which support photo extensions. The top icon is still not in the right position though, but that's the best answer I can give you.

Try downloading any of these free apps (screenshot) and see if the option appears now?

Now to download the apps I just deleted. :p

Also, I reread the entire thread, and think you may be confusing share sheet extensions with photo-app extensions. Share-sheet let you basically open content in another app. Photo-app extensions allow you to "borrow" features from other photo-editing apps and apply those changes to photos from inside the photos app. For example, I can use the scanner pro app to crop photos of documents I have taken inside the photo app, without having to go into the scanner pro app to do this.

20. EvoXOhio macrumors member

Wow, thanks for going through all that just to help! Can you give me an example of an app to download that has a photo extension? You referenced a screenshot but I don't see one that shows any apps.

21. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

You can try this one. The app is really called "screenshot".

Awesome Screenshot for Safari by Diigo Inc.
    https://appsto.re/sg/XJ3W2.i

22. EvoXOhio macrumors member

Thanks now I have the 3 dots. I wish other apps like Instagram and Facebook messenger would integrate their apps like this.

23. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Great to hear that it's all worked out. :)

Yeah, we can only wait and hope, I guess.

24. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Cant see fb messenger using the photo edit extension. Just share extension

25. EvoXOhio macrumors member

I don't see FB messenger in the share extension. Just regular facebook. sometimes I'm looking at a pic and want to be able to directly share it to a FB messenger, and I can't. I could in Android. Same with Instagram.