Something I Noticed About Inverted Scroll In Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by pic620, Oct 22, 2011.

1. pic620 macrumors member

When you're in iTunes, the inverted scroll works correctly vertically, but incorrectly horizontally. Anyone else notice this?

2. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

3. pic620 thread starter macrumors member

Let me be more specific. Connect a device, iPhone for example. Not talking music library here. Go into, say, the "Apps" tab, and try and scroll diagonally down to the right. The gesture is a two finger swipe up to the left corner of the trackpad. Works in Safari, Music Library, etc. etc. On a device tab screen in iTunes, horizontal scroll is working how PC users might call, "normally". *shudders*

4. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

That's true. You can notice the same thing in iCal's print preview when you zoom in on the page.

5. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Ah yep, I see what you mean. That is a little strange...

6. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

7. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

has anyone posting on this thread also reported the bug to apple?

8. pic620 thread starter macrumors member

I have not. Would you be so kind?

9. qap macrumors 6502

qap

I've done it 2 months ago. Also in App Store and finder the invert scroll (back-forward) doesn't work correctly!

10. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I think there is a bug on the relevant option in System Preferences.

I want my scroll-well mouse that is connected to my macbook pro to NOT scroll in the content direction. And I want my trackpad to scroll in the content direction.

So, I go into the System's preferences, I deselect the relevant option in the mouse preferences, and check the same option in the trackpad preferences.

After some minutes (I don't know if visiting certain programs will change anything) these settings are changed to their defaults!

11. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

12. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Not really. These kind of minor UI bugs where the probability is low that you would even run into them exist in every software application and will often actually take a long time to be fixed, simply because they're not assigned a high priority, and so other things are taken care of first. For example, I would probably have never noticed this bug, simply because I always keep the size of the iTunes window large enough that I don't need to scroll horizontally in the iDevice settings tabs (which still isn't large at all).

13. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

Something like this should be handled universally by the OS. The UI of Lion is completely inconsistent, this is just one minor example. If some App's handle mouse scrolling differently then the changes made to implement this was obviously incomplete. Lion is full of those incomplete cases, like Auto saving version information to files on filesystems that don't support versions and ruining data. The whole system was not well thought through, and not well implemented, which is why about a third of macrumors users have gone back to Snow Leopard.

14. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

It's a very minor UI bug. You're making too much of this.