Something I'd like to see on iPhone 5...thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jetblk328i, Aug 8, 2011.

1. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I was reading over iPhone 5 rumors and noticed that something I really really want is missing... Maybe I'm just weird but I'd really like to see a touch capitative home button instead of a real button. In addition, I'd like to see the little white square become LED like the sleep indicator on the Macbook pros. This would act as an LED indicator for notifications.

Thoughts?

2. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I really like the idea of the LED light. They should definitely implement that.

Having the touch capacitive Home button, however, I dont like. I think that'd result in a lot of accidental presses.

3. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Loving the idea of the square being an LED indicator, absolutely loving it! However I like the physical home button so would rather have that.

4. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Works wonderfully on my pixi.

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Love the idea of the square being the notification light.
    Maybe it could be a big capacitive home button, and the whole home button 'logo' could light up (square and circle)

6. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Well Apple did hire the WebOS guy.

7. ritmomundo, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011

ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would like the square to light up, but I like the real physical button too.

9. Savor Suspended

Savor

Yup, same here. I actually would love to see Apple implement some of the stuff from webOS. I think the webOS notification system is still top notch and the app switching with the cards is just great. I love to slide my finger which moves to the next app and love to close those apps by "flicking them off." :D More intuitive and fun.

I am not in love with the Pixi Plus (AT&T) hardware and it even rebooted twice on me when I tried to overclock at 806MHz yesterday. Can't expect much for a $60 bargain on Craigslist. It also doesn't have that many apps, but I absolutely love webOS. If Apple doesn't want to give us Flash or widgets for quick glances, at least eliminate the steps of constantly pressing the home button just to open or close another app.

If you think about it, the stock 4x4 iOS grid already feels very dated since not much you can do with a layout like that anymore if you happen to always need the tap the home button and open and close an app. And not much info onscreen to glance at unless it is JB. If they inherit some of the webOS card system or some of the ideas of RIM's QNX, I can see iOS definitely heading to the right direction.

10. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Exactly :D

11. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Love the LED idea, but like the physical home button as it is now :)

12. YEEZY macrumors member

Wow, that LED light thing is ingenious! I wonder how innovative they'll be this time around, and I hope it's worthy of the title of the "iPhone 5"

13. JASApplications macrumors 65816

LED Light sounds like a great idea but I prefer a physical home button to be honest.

14. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I sincerely hope the physical button is here to stay.

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

you're hired jetblk ... nice idea

16. jetblk328i thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm it's a good sign that others want the LED square too! Hopefully we will see that soon!

As for the physical button, I am always a little paranoid that I'll press too hard one time and it will break.

17. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

If the physical button is removed, what happens if an app freezes and crashes? Or you need DFU mode? A "software" button isn't going to do anything.

18. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

19. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Erm... It's just the same thing that's been on WebOS devices for years but incorporated into the iPhone as a concept

20. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Personally I'd rather the home button remained a physical button. I've owned a couple of phones in the past with capacitive buttons and I just didn't like it. I would like a notification light to be implemented as long as it is seamless and looks good (which I'm sure Apple will be able to accomplish).

21. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Meh, my HTC Inspire 4G has the notification LED and it just annoys me. I don't like it and turned it off after a few weeks.

22. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

Agreed about the LED notification, infact I think that's highly likely to appear in the iPhone 5.

As for the home button I would also worry about accidental presses though I have never actually used one myself so I guess it would be hard to know exactly how great it would work without trying it on a phone so I'm not so sure..

One thing is that it would definitely solve the issues of faulty or degrading home buttons over time with iDevices which is probably one of the major things that goes wrong with devices (if anything) over time.