Something in between computer speakers & audio monitors?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by simc23, Sep 25, 2013.

1. simc23 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm looking to find the best audio setup to go with my iMac at home.
    I've used computer speakers for years (mostly logitech), but never found a decent pair that actually lasted, or sounded half good.

I started looking into studio monitors, but as I won't be mixing audio, they're not really what I'm looking for either. (Although I will be doing a little bit of video editing).

I want quality speakers that won't fall apart after 1 or 2 years, that sound amazing to listen to, and do not require too much of a hassle to hook up to an iMac. Any suggestions? Not too fussed about price, but don't want to spend thousands.

Cheers :)

2. clavedozzy macrumors newbie

I'm using the $500 B&W MM-1 speakers for my iMac... It's very good quality product. It changed the way i listen to music. This product is made for exigent listeners. You can also try this.:)

3. Blue Fox macrumors 6502a

Blue Fox

I really enjoyed my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers when I used to run speakers on my iMac. I just use the built-in speakers now (or a good set of headphones) if I have to do any mixing or video editing.

Usually I just AirPlay music over to my Apple TV hooked up to the big Klipsch Reference Home Theater in the living room if I really want to listen to music.

But a REALLY good set of bookshelf speakers will blow your mind (though, you'll need an amp/receiver)

Good luck with the search.

4. 911scanner macrumors member

I use the AudioPro LV2.

While expensive, they are by far the best sounding amplified speaker that I heard when shopping a year or so ago.

On top of that, they are connected wirelessly though USB, and they're leather wrapped as well.

I'd highly recommend them to anyone that is serious about good sound.

5. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I can't see the point in not using nearfield studio monitors in your situation. They're shielded for use near a computer and they're designed to project the sound to the immediate area which Hi-Fi speakers are not. There's plenty of nearfield monitors available in all different price ranges, I'd just check reviews online.

6. keihin macrumors newbie

Check out the Audioengine A2 and A5 models.

The A2s are small, but sound great for their size. Perfect for my use in an office setting. I listen to music all day at lower volumes, and having been using these for a couple of years now. Very happy with them.

The A5s are much more of a room filling speaker, larger and with greater power.

7. jtara macrumors 65816

Actually, studio monitors are ideal for your situation. As others have pointed out, they are spcifically designed for the listening distances typical for computer speakers, and also are generally well-shielded against the electrical noise you will likely encounter.

8. makinao macrumors regular

9. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

You have so many choices and you need to consider what price you are willing to pay.

Audioengine
    Focal
    and the list goes on.

You might find that you would enjoy something like Orb's offering which is a 2.1 set up or 2.0 along with an external mini-amp. There are also other companies that offer similar set ups that are outstanding for price and audio quality.

All of the suggestions offered by others here seem to be in line with some very good sound. Again - figure your price range and just how "accurate" do you want sound from speakers that are relatively close to you.

10. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

+2

Been using the same set of M audio monitors. Think I'm on year 11 and still going. Still makes normal speakers sound stupid and most have built in amps. Just double check the connector, it may need adapters.