Something inside my disc drive...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Arianasieghart, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Arianasieghart macrumors newbie

Arianasieghart

So the other day I saw my 2 year old put something small into my disc drive on my 2012 13" MBP. I couldn't stop him in time, and now something is in there. (I have no idea what it is)

I tried to use gravity to get it out, but I don't even hear anything rattling in there. I tried to put a cd in to see what happens, it makes the noise like its reading the disc and then it spits it back out.

I'm still under warranty so I'm wondering if I should just go there and say my disc drive stopped working

Any other ideas?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

If they find anything inside they will charge you, you can do it yourself with the guides on iFixit.com and a few tools, but even when the Optical bay is out of the MBP it might be hard to get this whatever is inside out.
    A new one on Ebay is not that expensive, something like $20-25.

3. Arianasieghart thread starter macrumors newbie

Arianasieghart

And if they did charge me what do you think an estimate would be? I'm not the kind of person to fix things like this. I'm pretty sure I'd be terrified..

4. trikky macrumors regular

WHy lie? Is that the sort of parental guidance you want to give your kid? Not exactly opening yourself up to demanding the kid be truthful to you now, are you? If it were me, I'd go in and tell 'em exactly what happened. Sure, I may have to pay dollars, but they may also be sympathetic of the situation and take care of it for free.

Doesn't hurt to try, and certainly better than showing your kid that lying gets things done...

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

It's actually not that hard, removing the bottom lid, when done you see the Optical disk, one plug to disconnect and a few screws more, if you let the servicemen to do this it will probably cost you several 100's dollars.

You could also buy an external for $20-30.

6. Giuly, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Get an OWC Data Doubler and replace the DVD drive with an SSD. All problems solved, and it shuts the slot so that nothing can be inserted anymore.

7. PinoyAko macrumors 6502

That's true.

When my kid was around 3 years-old. He spilled an Apple juice beside my Macbook. The gray cloth or thing that is in the optical drive got wet and it went stiff after getting it dried.

Apple Store replaced it for FREE after I told them the real story.

8. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

And now I've heard it all...

On a more serious note, you should be able to remove the optical drive yourself and see what's in there.

9. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147