Something is autofilling my login password box

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Maui19, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Maui19 macrumors regular

I have a Mac Mini running 10.12.13. I think I may have had two problems going. I have been having wake from sleep issues that are, I think, related to the to the Safe Sleep feature that Apple has foisted on the MacBooks AND the Mini (for some reason). I have used terminal to edit the Safe Sleep parameters, and this has mostly fixed the wake from sleep issue.

I also have this weird thing where my login password box is getting autofilled by something. This happens most, but not all, of the time. I don't have any login items loading, and I can't figure out what is causing this.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

By any chance did you tell Safari to save some passwords on one of your devices? Check Safari prefs under "Passwords" and see if it has any saved.

Did you happen to install a password manager, like LastPass or 1Password? Those can also do it. Not sure what else could possibly fill in password boxes.

Also, I'm assuming you're talking about Safari since you haven't specified exactly where this is happening.

3. Maui19 thread starter macrumors regular

This happens on the login screen when my computer wakes from sleep. It doesn't always happen, and sometimes my computer doesn't wake from sleep. It is the master password box for my user name.

4. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Interesting, no idea then. Is it the correct password, you can just hit enter and log in? Or is it some unknown text?

5. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Do you have an Apple watch? If so, it could be unlocking your Mac.

6. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

That doesn't fill in the password box, when the Watch unlocks the Mac there's not even a password box shown.

7. Maui19 thread starter macrumors regular

Whatever is filled into the password box is much much longer than the actual password.

8. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Possibly a stuck key on the keyboard? Any pets that may be stepping on the keyboard?

9. Maui19 thread starter macrumors regular

No pets, and I've eliminated the keyboard as a problem by unplugging it each time I step away from the computer (i.e. before it goes to sleep).

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking it has to be an app.

10. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Honestly an app doesn't make sense unless you have something specific to logging in. Do you have a mic and Siri activated? A Bluetooth keyboard or other input device you may have forgotten about? Some kind of login script you may have created and forgot about?

Just throwin' out stuff to see if anything sticks.

11. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Any kind of security key or token, like a Yubikey, plugged in to one of the USB ports?

12. Maui19 thread starter macrumors regular

Yep these are all good thoughts, but nothing hits the mark yet. I don't have a security key or token installed. I do have a password manager, but I haven't been able to determine that it is the problem. I comb through Console all the time when I wake from sleep, but nothing jumps out at me (honestly I mostly have no idea what I am reading when I look at system logs). I have tried quitting all apps before I let it enter sleep. and I have tried removing all external usb connections and that doesn't solve it. Hmmm...I wonder if it is a network thing?

13. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Have you tried shutting wifi off and disconnecting ethernet before invoking sleep?