Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Don't plug your iPad into a 220v plug. Seriously, some people amaze me with their misinformation. If your iPad is plugged into the wall using the Apple-supplied cable and charger then there is something wrong with the plug or the iPad. If you use another outlet and it still happens then there is something wrong with your iPad.

Sorry, but you're misinforming everyone. The included power adapter in the iPad 2 box is a 100-240v WORLDWIDE power adapter. Go look at it - it even SAYS so on the power adapter! Nothern Ireland, for example, uses 220v. And they have iPad/iPad 2 available there!

So, for the last time: You can use your iPad/iPad 2/iPhone/iPod touch/MacBooks etc in ANY socket in the 100-240v range.

tiggger

macrumors G4
Feb 19, 2010
i had the same basic issues as the OP too. my iPad was plugged into a surge protector and left over night to charge. in the morning the battery had gone from 24% to 32%, unplugged USB cable from iPad and plugged back in, still no go. swapped USB cable from iPhone 4 and it charged iPad up easily. the next time i charged iPad i tried iPad cable/charger with real slow results again, so i unplugged cable/charger from surge protector and plugged it in directly to wall outlet and iPad charged quick and problem free.

just wanted to let everyone know that i still had issues with the iPad not charging correctly after i posted this message. so i brought the iPad, charger and cable in to the Apple store told them what the issues were, they replaced my charger. since then i've charged my iPad three times with no issues. hopefully this solved the battery charging issue i had. time will tell... :)

one thing the guy at the Apple store told me was that if i still have issues with the iPad charging to plug iPad into the computer and do a backup of iPad in iTunes and then do a restore.

rritterson

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
DC USA
Are you charging with 110V? Try 220V. All these new-fangled batteries charge faster with a higher voltage.

This makes no sense.

Yes, as others have said, you can plug the supplied power adapter into a 220V outlet just fine, but as a post below indicated, the output voltage of the adapter is only 5V, which is true no matter which outlet you plug it in to. I don't know about you, but most of the circuits in my house are 20A. 110V * 20A = 2200 Watts. A 20A circuit on a 220V outlet would be 4400W. If your iPad needs more than 2200 watts to charge, something is seriously wrong with your battery.

In short, it will make no difference.

shen

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
I just want to know where in my house can I get 220v from?

If your house is on the border between Ireland and the USA, go to a room on the Ireland side and try there. You might get lucky.

And before anyone tries to tell me we don't share a border, I know better, I learned my geography in the USA, and we are the center of the damn world and everyone shares a border with us!

I also know this because my dryer is on 220, and my laundry room is in Ireland.

atlanticza

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Cape Town
Don't plug your iPad into a 220v plug. Seriously, some people amaze me with their misinformation. If your iPad is plugged into the wall using the Apple-supplied cable and charger then there is something wrong with the plug or the iPad. If you use another outlet and it still happens then there is something wrong with your iPad.

Not sure that I understand your comment re 220v. Are you dispelling the myth that an iPad will charge faster using this voltage?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I have absolutely no problems with my iPad. It recharges from 18% to 100% in a few hours :)

Likewise here. No issues. If people are having trouble charging, it's either they're not using the provided charger (iPhone chargers charge the iPad very slowly) or there's something either wrong with the iPad or the charger itself.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Appliances like a washer and dryer, stove, fridge, dishwasher use 220v in the USA.

Where in the US do you live that all the appliances you listed are 220v?

Most everywhere else;

• Refrigerators, dishwashers and clothes washers in the US are 110v not 220v.
  • Electric stoves and dryers are 220v, while gas stoves and dryers are 110v.

And as others have said, the output voltage of the charger is constant regardless of the input voltage.

Skadoodat

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
Where in the US do you live that all the appliances you listed are 220v?

Most everywhere else;

• Refrigerators, dishwashers and clothes washers in the US are 110v not 220v.
  • Electric stoves and dryers are 220v, while gas stoves and dryers are 110v.

And as others have said, the output voltage of the charger is constant regardless of the input voltage.

I thought they all used it, Guess I shoulda done some research before posting that. :D

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010

Its perfectly safe to plug into 220v.

My ipad 1 and ipad 2 both come from US and I use the same charger, just changed the plug bit which slides off (all iPad / iPhone power adaptors are the same worldwide)

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Just an update to anyone who was following this thread. I tried multiple things including plugging directly to wall, changing out charger, and trying to charge with a different cable. I was finally able to charge with my cable and charger switched out for replacements when plugged directly to the wall. When I brought it in to apple they exchanged the unit (I was having display issues as well) for a new retail box unit and now everything seems to be working ok so far. I never tried a 220v adapter.

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
Glad you got it fixed. Despite all the extraneous noise here in this thread, something was clearly wrong with your unit. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.