Something is draining my battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thomamon, Sep 30, 2014.

1. thomamon macrumors 65816

thomamon

So I was pretty sure that something was using my battery while I wasn't using my iPhone because the usage was going up while I wasn't using it. But this morning I went to sleep at 7 AM and woke up at about noon, when I woke up I checked the usage and realize it said I had 47 minutes of usage.

I decided to do a little test. I snapped a screenshot of the battery usage and put the phone down for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes I picked it up and check the battery usage again, it reported 15 minutes of standby time and I didn't use the phone or get any notifications during that time. But they were four more additional usage minutes that were now being listed of usage.

Yesterday I went through the site I pasted below and try to bunch of those settings to see if that would help the battery, but now I'm even more sure than ever that there is something wrong. Last week I went to the Apple Store for a genius appointment and I had them check it out but the guy said there was nothing wrong with it. I'm tempted to take it back but it's a 45 minute drive and really don't want to go there for no reason again. Any suggestions?

http://www.scottyloveless.com/blog/2014/the-ultimate-guide-to-solving-ios-battery-drain

2. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

3. thomamon thread starter macrumors 65816

thomamon

I have already restored it, three times set up as new

4. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

turn off background app refresh.. That made a huge difference with mine

5. KevinMac macrumors regular

KevinMac

Same thing happened to my wife's, daughter, and my iPhone over the past couple weeks. 2 of the 5s and one 5c. Tried resetting, deleting apps, etc. nothing worked. Our backs of the phones would get very warm. Then after a day or two it stopped and we are back to excellent battery life. Also, it happened to our phones at different times and on different days.

6. thomamon thread starter macrumors 65816

thomamon

Did that uesterdsy

7. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

It can be any number of things. Email accounts syncing (try deleting and re-adding them if you feel it's an issue), background data refresh (i.e. a podcast app), notifications being presented to you, iCloud data still downloading in the background, etc. Are you actually noticing a significant hit on your battery percentage, or is this purely off the usage time? Remember that usage time does not directly translate to screen on time; it translates to any "non-idle" time for the device.

8. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

Also if you have the FaceBook app, always shut it off when you are done and don't let it refresh in the background as it is a huge battery drain for some reason. Obnoxious. I hate FB with a burning resentment but my friends and relatives insisted I join it and become a fellow body-snatched pod person.

9. thomamon thread starter macrumors 65816

thomamon

i'm not experienced a good battery life everybody else's. It is seen for poor from the beginning. I have already done a bunch of what you said, I'm not even sure what else there is left for me to try. Only have my iCloud account for email, and that's now set to fetch.

Disabled a bunch of the location services yesterday, also disabled background updates. It could be the iCloud backup I suppose? Not sure at this point. A couple of minutes here and there for the usage time wouldn't bother me, but this morning it was over a half hour.

10. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Make sure your background app refresh is turned off or at least choose the apps that you need that feature for. This can really drain your battery. I turned it off because I had zero need for this and my 6 Plus's battery life has increased dramatically. I used it all day yesterday including making wifi calls, web surfing and texting and I couldn't get it to go below 80% charge.

Settings-General-Background App Refresh.

11. thomamon thread starter macrumors 65816

thomamon

I disable location services for Facebook yesterday as well as background refresh, I also shut off a bunch of the notifications so they wouldn't drain my battery either. It does not appear to be any help.

----------

Again I've already attempted this yesterday and it was no help at all.

12. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Yep!

Facebook is a HIDEOUS battery drainer.

I'd try this:

-Set phone to airplane mode before you go to sleep.
    -Make a note of battery percentage.
    -Sleep.
    -Wake up.
    -Note percentage after you wake up.

This rules out any radio/bluetooth/wifi related drain.

Then see what apps are utilizing the most.

There's also an app called Normal that will analyze the apps on your phone and determine which ones are battery hogs.

Good luck!

13. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Oh, sorry I missed that earlier in the thread. Just make sure you're getting good reception. If at any time it's searching for service it will drain up to 40% of your battery. I used to work for Sprint. That was usually the main culprit.

14. thomamon thread starter macrumors 65816

thomamon

Worth a shot.

----------

How do you know if it's that?

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Can you provide data on that? The 40% of drain?
    I can say that I go to a location that is basically a bunker due to some weird fire law. I get no service, legitimately, but every so often I get "1x" on data or something like that. My battery can jump from 90% to 70% in an hour. One day I was there for 4 hours, I had 100% battery just unplugged from the car. I never used it knowing it was pointless and I was down to 10%.

16. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Unfortunately I am unable to provide such data. It was never written in numbers. The Sprint engineers relayed this information to us for our customers. But searching for service definitely causes battery drain.

17. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Awesome App! Thanks for the suggestion. It recognized on my device that the Podcasts App should be killed when not in use and have background refresh turned off. It estimates with 99% confidence that this will give me 45 mins of extra battery life.

I do use podcasts a lot, but I don't think it always needs to be on in the background so this makes sense.

18. thomamon thread starter macrumors 65816

thomamon

Tried setting it up as new one more time... Wish me luck, lol

19. Coupz macrumors regular

Have you tried a hard reset? So pushing and holding sleep and home button until you see the apple logo. Your phone will restart.
    Battery Doctor is also a good free app. I also use system status (paid version, but there is a free version too) where you can see your cpu usage. And when I let this app open for half a minute, the cpu usage of my iPhone 5 is under 5%, mostly between 1.5 and 3.5%
    That means my cpu is really in idle.

20. thomamon thread starter macrumors 65816

thomamon

Yeah, no luck with that...

I am thinking it may be poor reception at home. Just noticed I only have two circles next to LTE...

21. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

contact your local priest and schedule a exorcism for your phone. Obviously possessed by a battery demon.

22. rawlus macrumors 6502

The culprit for me was a problematic download update of iMovie. Might have got corrupted or something but it essentially cycled nonstop while draining battery. It was not immediately obvious it was doing this.

23. Fant macrumors regular

The new iOS shows you which apps are using your battery under usage. Does that reveal anything for you?

24. mattbnr macrumors newbie

I checked my battery usage and for the last week Facebook is at 44%. My 4s battery only lasts about 3 hours before I have to charge. Very annoying.