Something is eating my hard drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wbhambone, Jul 20, 2007.

1. wbhambone macrumors member

I'm a little stumped. Something seems to be continually eating up space on my drive. For example. Earlier today I had 41.53 GB remaining. Several hours later it had dropped to 40.99. I rebooted and it jumped back up to 41.43. I've not installed anything new recently and can't seem to figure out what's going on. This has been going on for over a week now. Every time I reboot some of the space comes back.

Any thoughts, or any way to find out what's writing to the HD.

Thanks.
    bh

FYI - I have a G4 15" PB 1.67 1GB RAM 10.4.10 100 GB HD

2. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Check your log folders (~/Library/Logs and /Library/Logs). Might be a misbehaving log.

3. -kritter- macrumors regular

-kritter-

its called virtual memory, its when your computer uses your HD to store info that cant be squeezed onto the memory itself, so it is swapped back and forth from the memory to the harddrive to keep things moving, when you turn your computer off the virtual memory space on your HD is wiped, its nothing to fret or worry about...ive noticed up to 2 GB of space disappearing because i run photoshop and illustrator at the same time on my macbook sometimes, and it only has 512 MB of ram...completely normal

4. wbhambone thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I looked through the logs...nothing out of the ordinary.

It makes sense that the virtual memory could be the culprit. I guess I've just never noticed until the last couple of weeks.

Thanks again.
    bh

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Could also be something called sleepimage. This takes up the same harddrive space as ram installed, so on my system with 2Gb of ram i lose 2Gb of disk space, until i reboot or delete it.

It is found /private/var/vm this is hidden and may only be generated depending on system settings.

If you want to check what is using up your disk space then there are two applications which i can recommend WhatSize and DiskInventoryX

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

from my understanding that sleep image is deleted after being booted/wokenup from sleep? so the user really wouldnt notice whether the space is being taken up because it is only used when the computer is asleep.

this can be turned off if need be aswell...

but sounds like normal VM useage to me

7. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Maybe one of the big cats is eating away at your hard drive. A Tiger maybe thats feeling a bit peckish.:p:rolleyes:

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

maybe its time to unleash the leopard????

9. wbhambone thread starter macrumors member

Interestingly enough, this is now the least of my concerns. It seems I've been bitten (twice now) by my lower ram slot failing. Just happened today. It happened the first time just 10 months after I purchased it (Nov. 05)...sent it in, had the logic board replaced. Now it's happened again. Only 512 of the 1 GB is showing up.

Fortunately I have Apple Care.