Something is EATING my MAC'S GB!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by krewelement394, Oct 30, 2008.

1. krewelement394 macrumors regular

krewelement394

yeah exactly what the Thread post says! something is using up all my macbook's memory i checked right now and it says it is 77.68 GB available when this morning it said it had 88 GB left!! ahh what is it? i dont have time machine set up to it so it's not that. i thought it was iDisk but i deleted all of the idisk folders and still no changes!i deleted some folders i no longer used but it only went from 77.58 GB to 77.68 and now is at that...! i do not know what else to do! i have not saved any file with a huge load of memory from now and this morning and plus i use my flash drive to save things on... unless i am trully going to want to keep it for a long time, which i have not saved a thing today...! so help! please

thanks!:apple:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

When you restart your computer does the space come back?

3. krewelement394 thread starter macrumors regular

krewelement394

i havent tried that! but i just deleted a lot of podcast videos about 117 and it brought back 2 GB but i know that that was not it b.c i already had those before and i still had 88 GB

when i deleted the files i immediatly saw the 77 turn into 80 but ill restart! aand see if anything happens!

but isnt there a way i can do like a system restore like a windows machine does? with out time machine b.c i dont even use that or have it set on

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It honestly sounds like normal virtual memory usage of the hard disk. I'd only be worried about it if you have less then 10 GB of free space.

5. impreza98 macrumors member

you should boot up to the install disk, on there you'll wanna go into disk utility and repair disk and you might as well try repairing disk permissions.

6. pesc macrumors regular

7. krewelement394 thread starter macrumors regular

krewelement394

t was weird but last night after i deleted idis, nothing really changed! but this morning i got 9 gb back!!! so now i have 89.53 gb!!! wow!!! soo i think it was iDisk! that was the only thing i deleted! the podcast i already had so it wasnt that!

8. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I have noticed that too--but I've also noticed that the system seems to clear itself up on its own--releasing some of that virtual memory and freeing up space.

9. Intenost macrumors member

Intenost

I had a problem on my 1st gen air where trying to sync with MobileMe through a proxy server (which didn't work) caused my disk to fill up. I found this was a known issue.

HTH,

-ost

10. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

Do you spend alot of time on your internet browser?

internet usage will not take up 10gb or so, but it will deffiantly contribute to loosing some memory, and by that i mean 50-60mb. i just reset safari everytime i finish with it :) not that it matters really, i have over 200gb left :)

just a wee tip to get SOME storage back :D

wish i could provide a better solution however i'm new to mac computers :eek:

11. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

It's probably Cthulhu beginning to devour the world, starting with your gigabytes. Sacrifice data in an attempt to appease his hunger.

12. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

13. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ok firist of all.
    i do not know what your problem is.

but you should defeinatly not go around deleteing things.
    if you lost storage space.
    something happened.
    something you did not do.
    so do not do anything to try and fix it by deleteing things that have no relationship to your problem.

its like tuning a car, that has under steer.
    your not going to go and o ya i have under steer so lets put more camber, more caster, lets take out the ac unit, ditch the windshield wipers and hell lets throw away all the emblems on our car. hey lets add a spoiler and a diffuser, along with a spoiler on our hood along with a hood scoop and roof scoop.

when debugging or trying to isolate your problem, do the easiest things first.
    restart.
    repair disk permissions.
    see what programs are taking lots of memory ( i don't know how hdd space and virtual memory work together as someone stated but ya)

now you will probably never know what your problem was.

im sorry if i offended you and i will delete this post if you want, but i was trying to give an analogy

14. holtender macrumors newbie

Hello OP,
    I have the same Macbook as you and I suggest reading and perhaps trying the below link's method for increasing some space if you are unhappy with the problem.
    If not, the link merely provides a possible explanation for the change.

It happened to me so I changed the settings as I was not utilising it (sleepimage) and loads more space came back and I do not have vast changes when I have not installed/downloaded something etc...

http://schiralli.wordpress.com/2008/03/12/osx-how-to-disable-sleep-image-hd-memory-hogger/

hope that helps,
    tell me what you think,
    Thomas

15. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

now ask yourself this.
    do i really need an extra 2 gb of space.
    if yes.
    buy a bigger hard drive.