Something is up with my iMac can't figure out what?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JSmoove05, Apr 21, 2012.

1. JSmoove05 macrumors 6502

Ok a few months I bought a new iMac 3.4 i7 256 ssd with 2 TB HD 2g video card 8 Gigs of ram. I been noticing when i play starcraft 2 it lags bit not really in the game but when I minimize and do other tasks like surf web or even enter a site in the safari bar. On my old 2.8 i7 iMac i never had this issue at all ever and this computer is much much faster and better. I upgraded to another 16gb ram for a total of 24 gigs and it still does the same thing. Now what could be the problem my guess it the SSD is a bit faulty. IM pretty disappointed since I thought when I bought this iMac i would never have this issue and it would run without any hiccups. Any help would be great.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. JSmoove05 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have noticed like I said the game starcraft 2 when its open in the back ground really slows down my computer. I just can't figure out why??? I have enough memory and everything my old computer had this game open in the back ground without a hiccup. If i have that game open EVERYTHING i do on my iMac is lagged and slowed down I just don't understand. The activity monitor doesn't tell me much because I know the game lags my computer when i have it open in the back ground when I play it runs fine so is something wrong with the SSD or what?

4. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Try lowering your graphics settings to low. Might be your iMac can't handle Starcraft on high settings. You might want to lower your resolution down to 1920 x 1080 as well.

5. JSmoove05 thread starter macrumors 6502

i have tried this and nothing on my old computer which was way way slower then this one. I had it on medium settings and it never lagged like this.

6. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

What was your old computer?

One thing that sometimes surprises new Mac gamers is how much work is done by the CPU. A lot of work that can be delegated to the GPU in Windows has to be done by the CPU instead in OS X. That plus the fact that your new computer is probably running at much higher settings than the old one means your CPU is probably being kept very busy. Activity Monitor would tell if you if it is in fact Starcraft keeping your CPU pinned.

7. JSmoove05 thread starter macrumors 6502

My old computer was 27 i7 2.8 iMac 16gb ram 1 tb HD less then 1 gb video ram. The new iMac 27, i7 ,3.4 ,24 gb ram, 2 gb video ram and 256 ssd with 2 TB HD. There should be no reason this should be causing my iMac lag??@!@!