Something is wrong with browsing the internet on my Mac (super slow)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stanny, Feb 12, 2009.

1. stanny macrumors 6502

Something is terribly wrong. It's super slow. I am on a Mac Mini connected via airport. When I click web pages it takes 5 seconds saying "Looking for xxxxx.com" before even reaching the "Waiting for xxxxx.com" and then everything loads super slow after that. It's not my internet because on my PC laptop it's super fast without problems. What's up with the Mac?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Could be any number of things like interference from other devices and/or networks.

Might be DNS issues. I'd suggest going to opendns.com and using their DNS servers.

3. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

I would suggest avoiding OpenDNS. OpenDNS is known for returning information that differs from the authoritative answers. That alone is reason not to trust them.

Instead, I'd suggest using the old GTE resolvers (which still work just fine.) They are 4.2.2.1 through 4.2.2.6 inclusive. They're fast, free, and they don't return incorrect information.

4. Amdahl macrumors 65816

The problem definitely sounds like DNS. A firmware update for your router might fix the problem, as well.

5. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

You could also try giving the Mac mini a dedicated IP on your router and check the ports (you never know, obscure issues can be caused by ports which have nothing to do with the task in hand)