Something is wrong with Safari - need help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by i-sidd, May 5, 2010.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Lately I am having trouble with safari. its 4.0.5 version and my macbook is running OSX 10.4.11

I think there is some kind of virus. I have attached these two images. The first one is if u look at the address bar when I search for something like macrumor, it shows me all the results and when i click the first result instead of opening macrumor site it is just static , look at the address bar in the attachement.

This happens all the time with every site. The second attachment shows a windows warning, why windows warning on a MAC and more importantly how.

So kindly suggest how to clean up all this mess. The warning message has also happened in firefox and also safari and or firefox will suddenly close/crash on its own.

Kindly help

Attached Files:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

To paraphrase the thousands of threads on this issue: There are NO (ZERO) Mac OS X viruses out there, "are" being in the present tense, for people confusing them.

That looks like an ad, nothing more, that wants you to download some software. Or do you have Windows installed via Virtual Machine?

Btw, you can use MRoogle to search these fora.

Have you tried resetting Safari or Firefox?

3. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have reset both safari and firefox. But it did not help. Why is anyone not being able to give a solution to this kind of problem here. Is this the wrong thread.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The forum you are in is fine. Have you installed any virus protection programs?

FYI, we don't get paid. :)

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This thread is fine where it is. It appears you might need to change your DNS settings. As spinnerlys said, you don't have a virus, since none exist that run on Mac OS X. It simply looks like you're being redirected to a site that has those bogus virus warnings. It might be nothing more than a pop-up in Safari (like a pop-up ad), designed to scare you into thinking you have a virus. Try unchecking "Enable JavaScript" in Safari > Preferences > Security and visit the same site.

6. stuarthatto macrumors regular

The fact the pop-up says Windows Internet Security should give you the clue this is NOT Safari on Mac related.

Its a fake pop-up alert from an infected site. If it bugs you, stop using that site and/or report it to the site owner.

There is nothing at all wrong with either Safari or Firefox.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

He's getting the warning when he comes to MR though. I figured he might have added some virus protection (that he doesn't need as stated above) that is Windows based.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Where does the OP say they're getting the warning on MR? The first attachment shows a Google page, the 2nd shows a photography forum. Neither are MR. Am I missing something? Do I need more coffee?

9. Balaamsdonkey macrumors 6502

That "warning" window is definitely an advert. It totally smacks of Windows in its UI and art. Notice the X in the top-right. And the fact that it says "Windows Security" it is supposed to look like a Windows Security warning. Thus can't hurt you.

10. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't get that popup ad when I come to macrumor at least not yet, But most other sites specially deals.com and dpreview. I get that ad, its very annoying. I will try the unchecking javascript thing that you guys suggested.

11. donnie G macrumors newbie

windows warning and wellaction pop up

for the last month or so i have had the same problem with the windows pop up on safari and firefox. it actually happens on about 80% of the sites i'm on. sometimes it will hijack me to another site and the url will say something like wellaction.com with other stuff behind it. then when i go to google and search something when i click on the legit links (pages i have been to before and had no problem) it will pop up some BS page and not even load the page i'm trying to see in the original window. no idea what to do. i quit the apps and start them up again but after a few searches and page visitings the same things start to happen. any ideas?

i just read the thing about unchecking java script. trying that now.