Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2006
Sorry everyone, but i am new to the forum thing so i will get straight to the point:

-i just bought a 60g ipod.
-everything works (more or less)-software has been downloaded (and reinstalled) etc etc etc
-music etc playes through the ipod
-big itunes library-everything is perfect
EXCEPT
-'my computer' doesn't recognise my ipod as an external harddrive.
-it sometimes sees it for a few seconds and then it disappears from the screen.....i can't work out what is going on.
-once it showed up as E drive, so i clicked to check it out and it came back as unrecognized (or it doesnt exist)

any suggestions from a wizard out there?
cheers
cate

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
It could be your Windows computer. And I'm not even just saying that because I don't like them. In my experience with Windows, sometimes a PC will just choose to do or not do things, depending on the mood it's in and what the weather's like outside, but mainly if you're in a hurry or not. :rolleyes:

But probably you haven't enabled the iPod for disk use. ;)

Daniel.

cate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2006
I Love You I Love You!

ENOUGH SAID!
i knew it would be something simple, it was just a matter of knowing (and having time to surf!)
thank you.
ps. i might consider a mac next.......
:D

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
cate said:
ENOUGH SAID!
i knew it would be something simple, it was just a matter of knowing (and having time to surf!)
thank you.
ps. i might consider a mac next.......
:D

What kind of attitude is that "I might consider a mac next.."

That statement should be more like. That is it I'm selling my windows pc! ...and the next purchase will be a Mac no matter what....

cate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2006
Mac's Might Go On The List Of Things I Need To Buy...

So, the next question in the the 'ipod for beginners and why to buy a mac' formum-saga" is how do i connect both my laptop and my pc to the little flashing ipod machine?

here's the scenario:
1. pc- going out the door in a week (bought the ipod to replace it)
2. very old dell laptop (going in the bin in a week if it doesnt hurry up)
3. girl leaving the country with laptop and ipod.

question:
in the mean time, how can i connect both my Pc and laptop to the ipod (in the same day for example)?
do i need to Deauthorize? and if so will it wipe what i have just spent 3 weeks uploading?

i haven't taken any music off the net- just saved all the music (all that i could convert) onto the ipod, and now (because the disk player on my PC is faulty- works intermittently) i want to save the rest of my disks via the laptop to the ipod (because i am leaving the disks behind and going nomad style, except for the laptop and ipod........long story?

any new brain waves in brain wave supply land?

also not sure if my old lapie has the right port for the ipod. any suggestions on that front (without spending any money to purchase/ replace etc etc)
thanks in advance for the advice
cate

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Hmm... Okay, well Apple has a page on how to use an iPod with more than one computer here. I'm not sure if that's what you want though. It may be easier to transfer your music library entirely to your laptop and work from there, assuming the laptop has enough free disk space and a USB port. If you do this, you'll want to de-authorise your music on the desktop computer.

Hopefully that helps, although I'm not 100% sure I understand what you want. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.