Something like rsync to WHS?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by phenixdragon, Sep 23, 2010.

1. phenixdragon macrumors regular

I am running Windows Home Server at home in which I mostly just use to store my movies, back up of pictures and music. However, I wanted to see about setting something up that is like rsync that will a copy of specific folders from OS X to WHS. Does anyone know of a program that can do that? I know there is deltacopy which is like rsync but for Windows, but I don't think that will work on OS X.

2. sidesh0w macrumors newbie

you could try mounting the share under os x, then rsync to the directory in /Volumes.

3. LPZ macrumors 65816

You should have rsync on your Mac already. Open Terminal (in Utilities) and enter
    Code:
    man rsync
    to see the manual page.

[Edit] Never mind. I misunderstood the OP.

4. phenixdragon thread starter macrumors regular

Was doing some reading and I think I just need to install something like deltacopy and setup rsync on my Mac and it should work. I never used rsync before so this is all new to me. I'm going to play around with it and see what happens.

5. phenixdragon thread starter macrumors regular

Doing some reading and it should work but I am running into an error.

BrianMobile:~ Brian$ rsync -av /Users/Brian/Music/Songs/ 10.0.0.3:d/shares/Music/
    ssh: connect to host 10.0.0.3 port 22: Operation timed out
    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
    rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-40/rsync/io.c(452) [sender=2.6.9]
    BrianMobile:~ Brian$

I don't understand why it is trying to use port 22 and why it is trying to use SSH. How can I tell it not to use port 22 and not to use SSH? Default port for rsync is 873 and I don't have SSH setup.

6. LPZ macrumors 65816

From the man page:

7. phenixdragon thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but what does it all mean?

However, I think I have it figured out. Testing it right now.

Looks like I got it working. It was the double colon I was missing.

Actually I am wondering though, how does rsync work once you have the command setup? Do you have to run the command when you want it to sync? Or do you setup something that automatically runs the command every so often?

8. LPZ macrumors 65816

Yup. The man command is very valuable.

Either is possible. Search for articles about using the launchd command, though other options probably exist too.