Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mssm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Hi,

This is my first post. I have a 1.5 years old Macbook Pro with Intel Core Duo, running OS X 10.4.10. Today after installing the latest quicktime update, I noticed that some hardware at the right corner started making a noise, like "tick.. tick". It is too soft to be audible. I didn't hear till I listened to it carefully. actually, I am not sure whether it is the fan or anything else but it came from the right corner.

I am using this machine without any problem for a year and half, though I heard complaints about Macbook Pro's fan's noise. Did any of you have this trouble?

How can I say that it is either due to the update or due to some hardware problem? How can I diagnose the problem? Any command line tool?

I have run the Apple Hardware Test from the installation disc 1 and it did not report any error. Neither did Techtool pro report any error. However, when the machine is running some test, the noise was not there. iStat nano reported both the fan speeds around 1000 rpm when idle.

I am really anxious as I have to give a lot of talks within few days from now and all my data are there.

Any help/suggestion will be really appreciated. If any further details is required, I can supply it.

Thanks a lot in advance

mssm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Does it seem to get faster or louder as the fans speed up?

Thanks for your quick reply.

When some program is running, like the tests I mentioned or, say, vmware fusion, the fan speeds up and that noise goes away. It's a smooth sound of something running at high speed.

mssm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
A solution (seems so!)

I have found an ad hoc solution to this problem. I found that I did not calibrate my battery for a long time. Coconut battery showed my current battery capacity to be at 88%. So, I calibrated my battery. After a restart, I found that the battery capacity had increased to 91% and the fan noise had stopped.

The machine is running for over two hours after the calibration and I haven't yet heard that noise. I shall run the machine for few more hours and see whether the sound reappears.

Clearly, if this is a solution, it is ad hoc. If somebody can come up with an analytic solution, that will be great. My hunch was that the fan speed is somewhat tied with the battery capacity in some indirect manner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.