Something Moving Inside

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brittw1, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Brittw1 macrumors newbie

My 13" Macbook Pro (2015) recently took a drop and since then I hear something moving when I tilt it. The movement seems to be coming from the top closest to the screen. The screen is also slightly misaligned to the base. My question is should I open it up on my own and see if I can fix it or take it in to apple. Will opening it void my warranty? I have looked and heard both yes and no.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Hopefully your MBP is still functioning properly. Having something rattling loose inside an electronic device would concern me.

If there is exterior indications that it has been dropped, then warranty work may be an issue if it is something Apple can blame on it being dropped. Apple may charge to open it up, take it apart, and remove/repair whatever got knocked loose when it was dropped.

Opening the MBP does not void your warranty, but you would be liable for any damage you cause during the procedure.

Here is a link to a teardown guide for your MBP if you decide to open it up.
    https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Retina+Display+Early+2015+Teardown/38300

3. Brittw1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome thanks for the info. The computer is working perfect and it seems the sound is coming from the hinges connecting the screen or very close to it. Ill open it up and see if I can find anything.

4. numberfour macrumors regular

numberfour

I have the same machine and I hear something moving from side to side when I tilt as well. I have not dropped mine btw.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If the screens misaligned after the fall of put money on one or both of the mounting screws on one side being ripped out and now loose.

6. Brittw1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I looked into it and apparently it happens to a lot people. I read that apple says its expected wear and that it doesn't affect anything. Is your sound coming from the hinges or close to it?

I don't think anything is loose or broken. The screen is not moving or anything.

7. Aeorath macrumors newbie

Same for my MB Pro, 2015 version. I can hear something moving very slightly inside, it comes from under the lower part of the keyboard.

Never dropped it or anything. But it's working perfectly, nothing else.

8. numberfour macrumors regular

numberfour