Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
England
hey

is it just me or is there a bright object near the moon at the moment?

Im in the north west of england, anyone else see it?

anyone know what it is?

!!!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
its just about 1PM here. so i can't be of any help without pictures. but it could be Mars like Applespider points out.

L

Lau

Kernow said:
Any chance of a picture, it is hammering it down with rain here in the South-East, so the moon isn't visible

Same here in the South-West :(, but I'll keep an eye out in case it stops.

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
England
im in the north west,

cant get a good picture as it is so close to the moon that it gets washed out
but yeh

amazingly clear
wow.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Ashapalan said:
Its all right everyone, calm down, it's just mars.

but, why's it flashing?

Just so long as it's not green...

At midnight on the twelfth of August, a huge mass of luminous gas erupted from Mars and sped towards Earth. Across two hundred million miles of void, invisibly hurtling towards us, came the first of the missiles that were to bring so much calamity to Earth.

As I watched, there was another jet of gas. It was another missile, starting on its way.

And that's how it was for the next ten nights. A flare, spurting out from Mars - bright green, drawing a green mist behind it - a beautiful, but somehow disturbing sight. Ogilvy, the astronomer, assured me we were in no danger. He was convinced there could be no living thing on that remote, forbidding planet.

"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one," he said.
"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one - but still they come!"

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
At midnight on the twelfth of August, a huge mass of luminous gas erupted from Mars and sped towards Earth. Across two hundred million miles of void, invisibly hurtling towards us, came the first of the missiles that were to bring so much calamity to Earth.

As I watched, there was another jet of gas. It was another missile, starting on its way.

And that's how it was for the next ten nights. A flare, spurting out from Mars - bright green, drawing a green mist behind it - a beautiful, but somehow disturbing sight. Ogilvy, the astronomer, assured me we were in no danger. He was convinced there could be no living thing on that remote, forbidding planet.

"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one," he said.
"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one - but still they come!"

*ahem*

BAH BAH BAAAAAAH!
(dum-dum-dum!, dum-dum-dum!)

BAH BAH BAAAAAAH!
(dum-dum-dum!, dum-dum-dum!)

*ahem*.

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
England
EricNau said:
Could also be venus. It would appear more white than red (when compared to mars).

yeh,

its very red so must be mars.

well,
case closed.

We will see tommorow.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Yes, it is Mars. It's a few degrees to Moon's right as the moon overtakes. The Pleiades star cluster is about 14 degrees to Moon's lower left. Saturn is also visible very high in tonight's sky.

Venus was visible very low in SSW about 4.30-5ish for a while there but I haven't seen it lately. I think it is visible very early morning now. It's the 3rd brightest object in the sky after the Sun and Moon.

Did anyone see anything of the Quadrantid meteor shower earlier this week? I was looking forward to it but the sky was completely overcast :(

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I have been seeing it out of my kitchen window for a little while now. It´s specialy nice early afternoon when it´s the only object you can see on the sky as it´s not dark enough for other stars/planets to "shine"

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
You balloon! something strange has to be going on and its foggy in my wee village. smashing. just smashing.

last night there was something strange in the sky. at first my girlfriend thought it was some random planet that ive forgotten - but it wasn't! I've never seen that before.

Qoxiivi

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2005
London, UK
Ashapalan said:
hey

is it just me or is there a bright object near the moon at the moment?

Im in the north west of england, anyone else see it?

anyone know what it is?

!!!

Looks like the cow made it. Good for her.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.