Something New Around the Corner?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blitzerin, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Blitzerin macrumors newbie

In short, I've been dying to get an iphone for months, and I'm hoping to get one on launch day. However, I've read some people speculating that a 32gig or an iphone pro may come out soon. From my knowledge, this is PURE speculation, with no facts supporting it whatsoever, so I am still getting an iphone 3g when it comes out, but I really hope that Apple doesn't decide to come out with something completely better in the near future, or I'll be pretty upset. Anyone feel the same?

2. jfox00 macrumors member

close thread

"However, I've read some people speculating that a 32gig or an iphone pro may come out soon."

All iPhone hardware announcements have been made for the foreseeable (6 months - ballpark) future. Everyone loves to speculate about what they would "like" to have, but that doesn't make it more "like"-ly to occur.

If you don't mind waiting, wait on. I'm sure a larger capacity iPhone will come out. But you may not want to purchase it, because not long after that, another one may come out with even more capacity. But hold off, because...

I think you see what I'm saying. Now is a great time to buy an iPhone. It's the very beginning of a product cycle, meaning it's the longest period of time you can have your iPhone before it become obsolete (replaced by a better version of itself, usually).

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That iPhone Pro thing was a wish, not a speculation. I see no way that it happens because they would sell way more phones with FEWER features. I think Nokia sold nearly 500 million phones last year, most of them plain ol' phones with crappy interfaces that are just about free with a contract. Since there was some story about Apple patenting smaller Touch-based designs, it's likely either for that or for Touching the Nano.

The 32GB thing will most likely happen early next year. Sales will be up for the holiday season, so a storage bump will come out to help in 2009.

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Actually the iPhone Pro is speculation, just completely unfounded speculation. The iPhone 3G is what we get for at least the next 6 months.

5. admanimal macrumors 68040

If the iPhone 3G is the only new product out by July 11, I wouldn't expect anything new except maybe a capacity bump for another year. The iPhone isn't like an iPod where people can just sell their old one and buy the latest cool model as soon as it comes out. There are contracts and subsidies involved which means that on average people are only getting a new iPhone every 1-2 years.

6. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

Why would have Apple specifically ask the FCC to withhold picture, manuals and the like until July 11th. We DON'T actually know ALL the new iPhone's hardware based on aforementioned FCC request. Nobody knows except the execs and in the knows at Apple, but I along with many on the board will be surprized if Jobs doesn't announce something that will only further hype and fuel the hysteria surrounding the iPhone. It nothing happens, meh so be it. But I hope o' Stevo has something hidding behind the curtain prior to it's release.

7. admanimal macrumors 68040

What incentive does Apple have to withhold features that are really there? It doesn't do them any good to piss people off for a while by making them think that certain features aren't there when they really are. The only reason they would be hiding something is if they were not sure it could be completed, but by this point the hardware must be finalized or they won't have enough time for production.

Maybe Apple just wants certain things withheld until the phone is released to avoid sparking even more baselessly rumored features for people to get enraged about when it turns out they aren't really there.

8. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

From some of the stuff I've read on their reason for holding things back are so that other mobile phone companies are left scrambling on release day. I know that doesn't seem like much, but if other manufacturers have a month to plan some marketing strategy to coincide with it's release, it wouldn't neccessarily have center stage. This way the hype gets juiced right before release and there is nothing other companies can do as a push to combat the onslaught of advertising that Apple is about to unleash.

I would also cause aftershocks in the consumer market as to create conversation and a more frenzied atmosphere right at launch time.

Just a thought.... nothing concrete, but I think it makes a little sense. :apple:

9. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Could be why it's not coming out until July too.... two months not selling any iPhones. BUT I certainly won't be holding my breath for any new features.

10. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

I really dont think anything will come out shortly after the new 3G is released.
    We might see a memory bump but nothing big like new design.

However the old Iphone came out in July last year and by Sept people were already talking about the 3G. They will change it next year I bet to get suckers like us to pay for upgrades

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    As explained many times around here, Apple nearly always asks for manuals and pictures to be withheld until first sales day.

It's what they did with the first iPhone, and they have done it with other devices too.

12. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

Hmm..I think that we won't see a major addition to the iPhone product line for almost a year. just like what they did this time around. When iPhone almost reaches its second birthday they will come out with a new model. I plan on buying in 2 or 3 models from now.