Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VespR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2004
Well I've never seen it addressed, and I doubt seeing as the product isn't released nobody will be able to give me an answer but I'll get to the point anyway...

I currently have an ipod nano, and use a powerbook at home for my own leisure, but at the office everything is windows based. Therefore my nano is mac formatted, but if I wanted to charge it at work, it tells me the device isn't formatted and simply doesn't function. However, if you format the device on a windows PC when plugged into a Mac it works the same (I know I should format it at work yar yar yar...). This of course makes things awkward if I download songs at work and want to transfer them over etc.

Now I was wondering, what would happen with the iPhone? Seeing as it's also an iPod, one would assume that a similar experience would happen when assigned to a Mac, but then plugged into a PC. The reason I'm concerned is because I do not expect the iphone to have a very good battery life at all, therefore when I'm work I'd like to have it plugged into my PC at all times to maintain 100% battery. But then I'd also like it to function just as normal when I get home to my Mac. Apple probably have thought of this, but if not that would be a serious oversight. I guess we'll have to wait...

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
Even better - I believe it will support all current iPod power accessories, so you'll be able to use wall and car chargers (which can now be picked up for $5 at Sears).

VespR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2004
But what about being able to sync it on a Mac and a PC? I have two iTunes libraries. Guess we'll wait and see!

Vinnie_vw

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
the Netherlands
An even better question is how will a Fat32-ipod affect the running of OSX on the phone? And I would guess the OS is on a different partition to prevent someone from accidentally formatting it?

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
But what about being able to sync it on a Mac and a PC? I have two iTunes libraries. Guess we'll wait and see!

You can't do this with an iPod, so why should you be able to do this with an iPhone?

My suggestion, sync it with your Mac at home, that way you can keep on top of your personal e-mail via the iPhone while at work. It also allows you to avoid having to use your work PC for personal e-mail.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
An even better question is how will a Fat32-ipod affect the running of OSX on the phone? And I would guess the OS is on a different partition to prevent someone from accidentally formatting it?

Apple could easily just modify iTunes so that it can write to a HFS formatted drive. They just need to install one device driver or just give iTunes this funtionality itself.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Therefore my nano is mac formatted, but if I wanted to charge it at work, it tells me the device isn't formatted and simply doesn't function.
You can charge the iPod by connecting it to your PC, you just can't sync it. Telling the dialog box not to reformat it for Windows does not prevent the iPod from still charging.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
You can charge the iPod by connecting it to your PC, you just can't sync it. Telling the dialog box not to reformat it for Windows does not prevent the iPod from still charging.
Yep, I do the same thing at work. I charge my Mac-formatted ipod on a windows PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.