Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
When it comes to security, the most reliable security is on a PC.

5680724572_ab0f11237a_o.jpg

Or maybe it's because government is legally required to put procurement of equipment out for bid, and HP was the lowest bidder.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Or maybe it's because government is legally required to put procurement of equipment out for bid, and HP was the lowest bidder.

They do, but I think there's guidelines that they follow and I vaguely recall those guidelines are written in such a way they generally exclude macs, i.e., must be windows based etc etc. Its not like our government has shown a great sense of fiscal responsibility so there must be other factors as well.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Like in business, PCs are the favorite platform. Its not being a fanboy, but just the plain truth. Sure white house could have some macs (I have no way to validate that claim) but the reality of it is that PCs are the platform of choice

:rolleyes:

McDonlads sells more burgers than your neighborhood good restaurant. That must mean McDonalds is the platform of choice.

There are more cockroaches than people on earth. That means cockroaches are the platform of choice by earth.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
Pc's are cheeper that is why everyone buys them, and odviosly any govt institution will have a modified windows OS ( if it even is windows), because if u buy one out of the box u can get a virus in like a minute of serfing the web. As for a Mac I have never had a virus, or a problem with it exept one time but that was my fault and apple fixed it. Currently in the world we live in today it mostly comes down to coast, a Mac can do everything a pc can do and maybe more but to fufill basic needs of a computer user for the least coast the pc is the way to go. The general user has no clue about the technical specs of a computer and how it affects the performance or price.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
They do, but I think there's guidelines that they follow and I vaguely recall those guidelines are written in such a way they generally exclude macs, i.e., must be windows based etc etc. Its not like our government has shown a great sense of fiscal responsibility so there must be other factors as well.

It's true that a spec is written. If the vendor doesn't meet spec requirements, they can't bid. But none of this proves Windows laptops are more secure than Macs.

If I was Apple by the way and the spec was for a Windows based laptop, all I would have to do is load Windows on it via Bootcamp and then I could bid on the contract. I'd probably lose because Macs are more expensive, but I wouldn't be written out.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
It's true that a spec is written. If the vendor doesn't meet spec requirements, they can't bid. But none of this proves Windows laptops are more secure than Macs.

True, but there are a lot more security (not talking anti-malware) software for Windows and probably Linux than OS X. A lot of government documents are made with Microsoft Office and Windows is needed for full compatibility.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
those look like HP 8440's or maybe 4420's.
Believe it or not, they cost almost as much as Apples when we buy them for my work. Totally garbage laptops. Endless issues. Video output not working DVD not working, right out of the box.
HP also has the most hilariously bad bloatware installed on their boxes.

exabytes18

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2006
Suburb of Chicago
those look like HP 8440's or maybe 4420's.
Believe it or not, they cost almost as much as Apples when we buy them for my work. Totally garbage laptops. Endless issues. Video output not working DVD not working, right out of the box.
HP also has the most hilariously bad bloatware installed on their boxes.

They are neither of the models you mention. Also, if you have trouble right out of the box, then you contact HP and they fix it for you ;). Their business-support (these are business class machines we're talking about) is a pleasure to deal with. As having dealt with them myself, I can assure you they will utilize 1-day shipping to get you back on your feet if something goes wrong.

But ya, it's not worth comparing these to any of Apple's offerings. Apple does not offer anything with a comparable feature set (believe it or not, there's more to computers than their operating systems).

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
More surprised that they allowed a camera in that room with those documents there. Typically you're supposed to sanitize the area before allowing anything capable of recording / photographing in...

Then again, once upon a time equipment used in sensitive areas was required to be designed, and manufactured in this country, by a specific vendor, just in case...

Scary in some aspects, that we use COTS equipment in DOD networks now... Yes, I understand the OS is a modified build, or custom entirely, but if China were to embed some malicious code into a chip or subsystem? Ack.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Like in business, PCs are the favorite platform. Its not being a fanboy, but just the plain truth. Sure white house could have some macs (I have no way to validate that claim) but the reality of it is that PCs are the platform of choice

Sometimes we want nice things, but have to settle for what we can afford. Some consumers (and IT departments) can't justify the cost of a Mac, although they'd love one. They may not realize that in the long run, they'll be better off with a Mac and get more use out of it, but shortsightedness is pretty common.

RedneckWireless.jpg

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
One other thing PCs have over Macs - reliable ability to boot using any of the half dozen USB ports on the laptop - I can burn a Linux, DOS, Windows - any bootable ISO and it just works on PCs. It's a hit and miss on Macs.

For example I have been struggling to get anything to boot using numerous USB drives - flash, enclosures, external DVD - Windows, Multiple Linux distros - no dice. My MacBook Pro can only run OSX for now.

If people put Macs in the Enterprise - it would be by and large a painful exercise. Enterprise is a whole different ball game altogether that requires a lot of stable-everything - platform, hardware, software. Apple is best for consumers with lot of will to burn through their cash. (Like me - I am going out to see if the Air Super Drive boots my MBP into Windows).

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Sometimes we want nice things, but have to settle for what we can afford. Some consumers (and IT departments) can't justify the cost of a Mac, although they'd love one. They may not realize that in the long run, they'll be better off with a Mac and get more use out of it, but shortsightedness is pretty common.

I think you need to realize there are a lot of cases where PCs are simply a more logical and better choice than Macs.

Very few people need Garageband or iWeb (read: POS software) to get any real world work done. A lot companies just need computers that can do email, surf the web, and run Microsoft Office. PCs are easy to manage from an IT perspective, especially since most IT are trained to manage Windows or Linux based computers and despite the FUD you like to spread PC reliability has a lot to do with the manufacturer, my mother (who used to work IT) has an eight year old HP tower that still runs like the day she got it, or in some ways runs better because of XP service pack 3. HP is an excellent computer company with great tech support.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
There are more cockroaches than people on earth. That means cockroaches are the platform of choice by earth.

This feedback is completely unrelated to this thread, this forum, and computers in general.

But, that statement you made that is quoted above is one of the most beautifully omnipertinent rationalizations that has ever occurred.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
In enterprise, there is no bad bloatware installed. It all gets wiped and imaged with the corporate standard anyhow. Someone has never worked in enterprise it seems. ;)
I work for one of the largest enterprises in the country. I am the only IT guy at this particular location actually. I just finshed a top to bottom IT audit of everything in the building. Excel spredsheets and dandy Visio diagrams of all our connections. SAdly only 5 percent is MAC :(
So quit trying to pick a fight where there is none. Said it before, capable IT engineers do not feel the need to buttress their self esteem with silly squabbling on forums.
As far as imaging, our enterprise does all of our notebooks by ghost discs which regrettably come down from corporate. If the DVD drive isnt working we aren't going to set up an imaging server for one faulty box. As far as HP's service, it blows. I have had more than one occasion when I could not get satisfaction even with the HP Special care or whatever it's called.
It really is vexing how many companies expect you to use their tech support "chat" to seek reolution. I'm looking at you too iBackup!

Our Avid machines are all on the HP stock image, no idea why, before my time. I am going through them in my spare time and killing off everything not mission critical for iNews or other avid apps.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
They are neither of the models you mention. Also, if you have trouble right out of the box, then you contact HP and they fix it for you ;). Their business-support (these are business class machines we're talking about) is a pleasure to deal with. As having dealt with them myself, I can assure you they will utilize 1-day shipping to get you back on your feet if something goes wrong.

But ya, it's not worth comparing these to any of Apple's offerings. Apple does not offer anything with a comparable feature set (believe it or not, there's more to computers than their operating systems).
Maybe they are 6930's I dont know. Shot from the hip on that one. From a distance all HP Elitebooks look the same. UGLY!
HP support is awful. Lenovo has very good support. Dell has okay support, Apple has great support, but not business class support.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I think you need to realize there are a lot of cases where PCs are simply a more logical and better choice than Macs.

Very few people need Garageband or iWeb (read: POS software) to get any real world work done. A lot companies just need computers that can do email, surf the web, and run Microsoft Office. PCs are easy to manage from an IT perspective, especially since most IT are trained to manage Windows or Linux based computers and despite the FUD you like to spread PC reliability has a lot to do with the manufacturer, my mother (who used to work IT) has an eight year old HP tower that still runs like the day she got it, or in some ways runs better because of XP service pack 3. HP is an excellent computer company with great tech support.

I am a PCer (4 boxes and 3 laptops all dell) with a mac mini and a 13 mbp.
There are advantages to both. On the network I prefer a PC. independent ops either platform achieves what I need.
Reliability, seems to be a know issue, considering I have upgraded from XP or vista to win 7 on all platforms. The only machine that has needed anything is the XPS laptop that feel out of my unzipped bag.
At the same cost of apple care for a laptop (3 years), the dell warranty repaired everything from the harddrive, all the cracked frame parts, mother board and monitor.
Again, both platforms work for me.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
At the same cost of apple care for a laptop (3 years), the dell warranty repaired everything from the harddrive, all the cracked frame parts, mother board and monitor.

But Apple Care would not cover that damage, it only covers production issues and things like hard disks if they crap out.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

How will a Mac aid a business any more in running Office and running a network of computers? None. Windows does it as just as well (if not better as Office and Networking I find to be much better on Windows, but that is just my opinion).

So what would be the point in forking out the extra dollar for a Mac? There isn't. It isn't short sightedness, it's just not wasting money on something you literally don't need.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I work for one of the largest enterprises in the country. I am the only IT guy at this particular location actually. I just finshed a top to bottom IT audit of everything in the building. Excel spredsheets and dandy Visio diagrams of all our connections. SAdly only 5 percent is MAC :(
So quit trying to pick a fight where there is none. Said it before, capable IT engineers do not feel the need to buttress their self esteem with silly squabbling on forums.
As far as imaging, our enterprise does all of our notebooks by ghost discs which regrettably come down from corporate. If the DVD drive isnt working we aren't going to set up an imaging server for one faulty box. As far as HP's service, it blows. I have had more than one occasion when I could not get satisfaction even with the HP Special care or whatever it's called.
It really is vexing how many companies expect you to use their tech support "chat" to seek reolution. I'm looking at you too iBackup!

Our Avid machines are all on the HP stock image, no idea why, before my time. I am going through them in my spare time and killing off everything not mission critical for iNews or other avid apps.

Doesn't sound like that big of an enterprise if your imaging solution isn't full proof and your HP contract isn't good enough to get the good stuff (I've had HP engineers agree to come in on Easter Sunday to install RAM upgrades in servers, and I have their personal cell numbers on hand any time I need them).

We're not that big of a shop and no computer on the network isn't imaged with our corporate image.

Sorry if you think this is a fight, it's not really, it's my own experience. The last time I encountered a PC with an OEM image in my work in the last 13 years was when I worked for a very small IT firm (very, very small, 12 person affair, small business support) and we sold some guy a laptop for his personal use out of our Dell contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.