Something puzzling me about June/July quoted deliveries.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Piggie, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

This puzzles me.

Ok, so, we are saying there were not a lot of watches made ready got sale for launch day, despite months to prep for it.

And, what are we going to say here?
    Wild guess.........

For every 1 person who is getting a watch right away, there are 9 more that are going to have to wait till June/July.

So, if after X months they have only been able to make 1/10th of what's needed for the 1st wave of sales.

How then, between mid April (now) and June/July are the going to make the other 90% of wanted models?

Does that not feel a bit fishy, if it's simply that they are slow to make, and this was not deliberate make a few THEN wait for orders THEN make what's needed?

2. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

Apple is exceptional at streamlining inventory after they can accurately quantify demand. That's one of the ways they turned into a profitable company after years of over producing Macs that needed to eventually be thrown out.

It will just take some time after the initial wave to get their process down pat. I'm sure they will ramp up appropriately after they know what the sustained orders will be and eventually you'll be able to order one online for in store pickup the same or next day.

3. Cory Bauer macrumors 6502a

I really do believe they're basically building these on a per-order basis for the first batch, and based on those orders will have a feel for what's popular, what isn't and how many of each to make.

There are 38 different watches, and this is a brand new product. They couldn't possibly know how many they were going to sell and which models people would gravitate toward. After the first wave, they can get a feel for how many of each model to stock at their retail stores for the months ahead.

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Agree, which is probably why the delivery date is a 2 week window instead of just April 24.

5. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

If this were the case, then actually I would have more respect if they were honest and said so.

If you purchase many luxury items, that are quite special, it's not uncommon to know they are built to order, hell even some home furniture they tell you, you place the order, and then they have a time frame where they will make your order for you.
    This can actually feel quite nice.
    As opposed to some mystery where is my thing vagueness.

I'd have no problems if they actually said this to the public, people generally respect honesty I find.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Apple has run out of stock on almost all of it items sold on introduction day. You had to remember the 6 and 6+.

Do not see alot different here. But threads like this were predictable.

7. Cory Bauer macrumors 6502a

If I'm correct and the first batch is effectively built to order, it's not something Apple can brag about because this is only a temporary situation. Once they learn for example that the 42mm Classic Buckle outsells the stone leather loop 19-to-1, they'll know to build and ship their stores 19 of the classic for every 1 of the stone leather.