Something really weird is going on with my MBP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by newbiemacguy128, Aug 6, 2010.

1. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

Basically ill be browsing on safari, using word, and other every day stuff and all of a sudden i'll see the top of my screen is noticeably dimmer then the bottom half and this "dimmer" section will act like curtains and slowly make its way to the bottom of my screen.

Once it hits the bottom of my screen it will go to a screen that tells me i need to force shut down my computer.

It's happened to me twice today. Has this ever happened to anyone else? o.o

2. vant macrumors 65816

Thats a kernel panic. Something is very wrong. I usually cause them when playing with Coolbook voltages.

3. newbiemacguy128 thread starter macrumors regular

Soooo...if this keeps up, what would you recommend i do?

4. Pixellated macrumors 65816

If your Mac is still in warranty call Apple or take it to a store with a genius appointment. If not, try reinstalling OSX

5. newbiemacguy128 thread starter macrumors regular

Feels like my windows box all over again =). Alright ill try that. Thanks!

6. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Unfortunately yes. A kernel panic is usually caused by a dodgy program running in the background or a hardware faliure.

7. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

all computers have issues at one point or another. please DON'T be comparing your elegant mac to a cheapo pc.

8. crypticlineage macrumors regular

I never understand why the word windows is synonymous with pc in people's minds. Windows is one of the operating system that works on PCs. PCs run very stable platforms, Linux, Unix, and their flavors. Please do not bluntly blame PC for all the **** microsoft puts out.

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

It's understandable what you're saying and I agree with you but you also have to accept that the "PC" name is synonymous with Microsoft, period. This goes back to the old IBM PC that ran DOS, which is a program written by you know who? Followed by that then Windows was written and it was still called an "IBM PC Compatible".
    It's the same as Kleenex and Coke and any other tissue you buy or cola you drink is considered kleenex or a coke, no matter who's brand name is on it.

That's why I'm glad Apple didn't get caught up in that and just named their own PC's "Macintosh" so they would not be a part of the PC logo.

10. eponym macrumors 6502

Go find the second disc that came with your mac. Boot up from it by restarting the machine with it in the drive and holding down the 'D' key.

This should bring up the Apple Hardware Test.

11. newbiemacguy128 thread starter macrumors regular

Ill try this tonight! Haven't had much time to mess around on my computer yet. Anyways I love this MBP, it doesn't come close to comparing to my past windows machine!

Thanks for the help!

12. Yimbie macrumors member

To be fair... I've been using PCs for about 12 years now and have had extremely few issues, ranging from moderately priced to a $4,500 system. In the end... they're all just computers and all computers should be compared equally. I despise this whole attitude that "Oh my Mac is so much better than yours simply because it's a Mac."

13. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Why? The operating system is so much more user-friendly, the hardware is of higher quality, and hell, if you need windows, you can install it on your Mac. End of story. Macs are better than PC's.

If you come on mac forums, you are obviously going to get a biased opinion about macs.

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The association is made because the market share of *nix platforms of consumer PCs is infinitesimal compared to Windows, which still dominates at just over 90% even when you factor in Macs.

Actually, one argument for the instabilities that have been perceived as plaguing PCs running Windows is the hardware, or rather, the extreme amount of diversity in configurations, as well as the quality of components. Buy a cheap PC, and the vendor will make it with components that are as cheap as it can buy. Bad RAM, cheap motherboards, capacitors that are guaranteed to fail, all contribute to instability and BSODs.

I've seen it first hand on large scale PC deployments (thousands at a time) where I work. The hardware is junk.

On the other hand, we've deployed a few dozen macs. Granted the sampling size is much smaller, but the failure rate appears to be way lower by comparison, and the hardware seems to last longer.

15. Argon21 macrumors member

How many peecee's are sold running an OS besides Windows? Very very few. The vast majority, greater than 99.9% of all peecee's sold are preloaded with Microsoft Windows.

Therefore, Peecee = Windows.

Sure you can reformat and install Linux instead. That would be better. But maybe 1 in every 2000 people do that??

16. MrCooperS macrumors member

Same thing happened on my 1 month old 15" i7. I took it to the genius bar and they gave me a new one.