Something Really Weird Is Happening..

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jessmess14, Apr 10, 2012.

1. jessmess14 macrumors newbie

Okay so I don't know what the issue is. I'm about to have a mental breakdown.

I own both an iMac and a MacBook Air. On both machines (but the iMac more often) I'm having issues with certain websites.

Pictures are broken, and I keep getting "server cannot be found" pages. Which are sometimes fixed by turning wifi off and then on again.

This all came out of the blue, and I have NO idea what could be causing it.

It's driving me crazy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. aliciad332 macrumors newbie

I had this problem earlier today with Safari. Seems to be ok now. Is this something that has been going on for a few days?

3. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Since it is happening on both machines, I'd think it is an issue with your ISP's DNS server. Have you contacted them?

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

My dad called me about this, he said it was happening last night/morning around 4am... Do you live in the Philadelphia area, and use Verizon?

5. jessmess14 thread starter macrumors newbie

@aliciad332 I noticed it yesterday. It's worse today though.

@Razorhog I have contacted my ISP. My internet/modem is working fine. But my router was having issues…I thought I fixed it, but maybe not? Could that cause this??

@thejadedmonkey No, I live in New Jersey and I use Cablevision (Optimum).

6. aliciad332 macrumors newbie

I do

7. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

i can confirm that websites have been unable to load on my end, too. this was happening late last night, or very early morning. usual webpages i visit would not load and/or could not get connection. but, it was weird because other sites were able to connect to the net that i had opened on other tabs. but then, aforementioned sites that were able to load previously lost connection, too. and then, the other site after a bit would be able to connect.... yet other sites were still connected and i could still go to other websites, so the internet was working and my wi-fi was fine.... but it was like the internet was going on and off...

8. jessmess14 thread starter macrumors newbie

okay so it must be my router...

just drove to the library and everything is peachy...

wonder what the hell caused all this...

9. aliciad332 macrumors newbie

exactly this. all morning long. My Wi-fi was fine as had no troubles on work PC. Was either Safari or iMac wi-fi. Should have checked iPad or iPhone, but got preoccupied with work :(

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Your ISP's DNS did.

;)

11. jessmess14 thread starter macrumors newbie

@peace (nice s/n btw :D)

forgive me, but i'm not 100% sure what that means...my ISP's DNS...does that mean that I can fix it, or does that mean it's a problem on their end??

Is my router an issue??

Thank you so much!!!!!

12. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

i did not check it on my iphone, either. but, i was on the mac mini earlier in the evening and it started there. with my mac mini and then on my macbook pro when i moved to my bed where i did some last minute, surfing til i fell asleep kinda deal. so, it mustn't have been wi-fi issues on both computers.... happening at almost the same time....

it felt like the internet was dying. i lost connection to websites one after the other. yet, some websites still persistently worked as i checked them and the internet was alive and my computer can get on it... i even opened up safari and chrome and the problem was identical on either browsers. at its worst, it felt like the lost-connection bug was spreading throughout the internet.... i couldn't even get on my own website... and then i said to myself those words that the internet was dying.... or what i call my service provider sometimes, intermittent-net....

...not sure what is wrong, exactly... the lost connection happens more in previously visited pages... such as this thread, for example, just lost connection, yet i was able to go to the main page of MR but this thread was inaccessible... if this message is posted it is only because it has failed on a few attempts....

13. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

No problem. What I mean is that the problem might lie with your Internet Service Provider. Call them and describe the problems you are having. If they are having a DNS issue, they will have to fix it. That's just one scenario though. Yes, it could be a problem with your router. Have you rebooted it? You might try unplugging it for a few minutes.

14. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

so does this problem apply to me, as well, as i explained above

only some parts of the internet cannot be connected, yet some parts still work?

15. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

This happened to me between 12 and 2 am, using Verizon FIOS (Maryland). I used Apple's Airport Utility app on my iPad and iPod and the Airport Express was perfectly fine, it was definitely something odd with the Verizon router/internet.

Today things are okay.

16. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Oh No! Teh Interwebz Iz Broken!

An easy troubleshoot for DNS issues is to change the DNS pointers on your machine, Sys Prefs>Network Settings>Advanced. This overrides the default DNS settings in your ISP router. Use something like Google's Public DNS servers.