Something should be wrong with my macbook (slow booting)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by urmajest, Feb 8, 2009.

1. urmajest macrumors newbie

Hello,

It seems that my MB(unibody 2.0Ghz) has some problem. I recently reinstalled leopard (and some softwares). It takes a little bit more than 2 minutes to boot. Worse comes with Windows 7 beta. I tried both 32bit and 64bit versions. It takes more than 5 minutes to boot! I saw some guy showing some comparison of boot time on youtube. It seems that Leopard should take < 1 minute and Windows 7 takes < 2 minutes (with the same hardware!). My MB takes around 3 times more than other MBs. :( Where should I start? I recently ran memtest and it turns out to be okay. HDD S.M.A.R.T also reports 'verified'. I'm not sure what would be the next step.

Thanks in advance.

2. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Have you tried repairing disk permissions? How about using DiskWarrior or Drive Genius 2 to de-frag your HD? I would try these, and then see how long it takes.

3. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I'd first determine whether the problem is caused by the hardware or software. When you reinstalled Leopard last time, did you use Migration Assistant immediately following the setup? If so, I would suggest you re-reinstall once more. This time, set up the computer without using any backups. A fresh (error-less) copy of Leopard should boot in about 45 seconds. For anything long than a minute, you should call Apple.

4. urmajest thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the inputs. It turns out that my hdd (hitachi 160GB which came with Alu MB 2.0) was incredibly slow with reading. It's a bit weird since writing speed is just fine. Anyway, I dropped by the genius bar today. They sent my MB to the repair center.