Something similar to Defrag?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by h1r0ll3r, Jun 10, 2010.

1. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I've installed and deleted quite a few programs off my MBP so far and I'm curious if there is a function/utility similar to Windows Disk Defrag on a Mac? In the event that there are some files I forgot to delete, I just wanted to make sure I got rid of all the files and not have old uninstalled program data hogging up space on my hard drive. I'm still in a Windows state of mind since I just recently purchased my MBP so I'm not sure if the MBP will automatically remove all the files once a program is deleted or if some residual program files still remain even after I delete a program.

2. ssn637 macrumors 6502

3. eatbacon macrumors regular

Two things...

1. Defragmentation is generally not required on a mac
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1375

2. You seem to be confusing two different things. Defragmentation does not remove unneeded files. It only ensures that files are stored contiguously on the disk (ie not fragmented). It is true that uninstalling programs can leave behind unneeded files (often found in ~/Library/Application Support or Preferences) but unless you are really running out of space, they won't do any harm.

4. eatbacon macrumors regular

Their claims are fairly goofy. OSX optimizes after every software update or security patch preventing exactly what they are claiming.

5. boogieman macrumors regular

Wouldnt repairing permission be the same? I may be wrong here but I thought that was the much the same.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No, that's different, but also a good thing to do from time to time. Repairing permissions resolves problems where an installer messes up the security/UNIX permissions of the files it touches. It doesn't clean up unneeded files.

7. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

I just uninstall with appcleaner. I know that doesn't help you now, but something to think about in future. But yeah, defrag doesn't delete rogue unneeded files.