Something strange on my MacBook keyboard...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SiuPak, Apr 8, 2009.

1. SiuPak macrumors newbie

Sometimes, my MacBook triggers the key "\" automatically. I just leave my MacBook for a while, I see thousands of \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ at the textfield which is on focus.

When I press the "\" key, it stops.

I think my keyboard got some problems....do you think I can pick up the "\" key myself for checking?

Mine is a MacBook Unibody.

2. Sparky19 macrumors newbie

3. gsampson macrumors member

Seems like the key is probably sticking. Take it in to have a genius look at it.

4. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

5. SiuPak thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Sparky19 macrumors newbie

7. vilim12 macrumors regular

pop off the key and clean under it, you most likely spilt something without knowing

8. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Try pressing it sharply and firmly a few times, see if that helps. Could loosen it up a bit.

9. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

I would say that you could fix it yourself. I got some sticky juice on my PB keyboard, and took care of it. I just (CAREFULLY- because there are little plastic pieces under the keys, and when they are broken, you are SOL) popped the key off and use a Q-tip with some solution (forgot what exactly). The way my PB was, the key is attached to some sort of plastic apparatus, then the plastic apparatus was attached to the computer. I found it best to remove the whole complex from the computer.

10. unixfool macrumors 6502a

LOL...how in the world does someone spill something on a notebook keyboard and NOT know it?? Seriously, this is probably just dust or something NON-LIQUID. I had a sticky touchpad button once and didn't spill a thing on my keyboard (and I 100% know I didn't spill something on it).

11. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

So how did you remedy it? Would compressed air do the trick?

12. unixfool macrumors 6502a

If it were me, I'd take it in so a Genius could fix it. If you don't have Applecare, research on how to remove the key and clean under it. It's very obvious that something is under there that's impeding the way the key should work.

13. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Be careful! If you break a key, as ridiculous as this may seem, it voids your AppleCare agreement.

14. unixfool macrumors 6502a

That's why I mentioned taking it to a Genius.

15. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

Would they fix the keys under Apple Care, or would it be something that they would charge you for?