Something strange with my iPod Classic 160gb + battery life

Discussion in 'iPod' started by rumz, Nov 23, 2007.

1. rumz macrumors 6502

So, I've been enjoying my iPod Classic 160gb for a little over 2 months now. Today, something quite odd happened. It went from being fully charged to empty in a matter of hours-- without anything playing on it.

I did plug it in and sync it earlier today before I left home for the day-- listened to it in the car for a short 30 minute drive, then hit pause and turned the "hold" switch on.

By the time I went to return home later in the evening, it was dead-- said it needed to be plugged into a power supply. It would have had to have been playing video non-stop that whole time to be completely dead like that, no? But it was paused and on hold.

Anyone else experience this? Possible explanations? A glitch maybe? It's charging right now. Here's hoping it behaves "normally" tomorrow.

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It's a bug that happend sometimes to some people and not others. I had it happen once back in September when I first got mine but hasn't happened since. Some people have noticed that it may be happening after they use coverflow. The hard drive just keeps spinning and never stops till the battery is gone. I have only used coverflow a few times and just browing the artists or songs menu seems to NOT make this problem happen. Maybe some others will have other ideas too.

3. rumz thread starter macrumors 6502

Since you mention it, I had recently done something I normally don't do on my iPod-- used the search function. I hadn't used coverflow, but I wonder if the search function could similarly get the iPod stuck to drain the battery...

4. Mac.Jnr macrumors member

Yeah I have the same problem with my 80gb Classic. I am not even close to getting 15 hours audio from mine and less than 3-4 hours of video playback.
    I hope this is just a minor issue and should be able to be ironed out with a firmware update.