Something that has been annoying me since I updated to iOS 7

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by jacobss, Oct 23, 2013.

1. jacobss macrumors 6502

For example I'm using the YouTube app and then I decide to go on safari for like 5 minutes, then when I go back to the YouTube app, I can see a 'screenshot' of what I was doing last, me thinking good let me continue with what I was doing, then suddenly the app refreshes. When I had iOS 6 it would take a little bit more longer for this to happen and if I remember correctly, iOS 6 doesn't show you a 'screenshot' making you believe everything is still intact. btw I'm using an iPhone 4S.

2. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Simple answer. You have a two year device that is very capable, but has 512mb of RAM. This will make things refresh as they are no longer cached.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Things of that nature also happen on iPhone 5 (and I'd imagine even 5S and newer iPads as well) with 1 GB of RAM.

4. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Yes. They would also happen if the iPhone had 4GB + RAM. It is just more noticeable on devices with less RAM...

5. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

This constant refreshing and limited cache is UNBEARABLE on the iPad mini, specially since I use the iPhone 5.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Right, so it's not really a "simple answer" essentially.

7. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

No it still is. Limited RAM = limited cache = refresh

8. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Is its problem also due to apps not properly supporting state restore?

9. hounslowfish macrumors regular

Happens also on iPhone 5s. I don't think it is a RAM issue, just the last image for that app being displayed, while the app itself has now closed. They could fix this fairly easily in an update.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

It doesn't really address some of the things the OP brought up, like it seemingly not happen as much in iOS 6 and it not being as misleading given that the screenshot almost serves no purpose in cases like that.

11. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

The more resource intensive the task the more RAM the system uses. So on iOS 6 there is less RAM the system uses compared to 7. Don't quote me on this, but it seems the preview itself is stored in RAM. If true, that's a big hog right there if too many apps are open.

12. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

It's a good question. It happened on my mini under 6 and happens more with 7. Hope you're right.

13. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I thought it has been this way since iOS 4. I refer to how it shows you where you left off while it tries to recover. Perhaps your device is too slow or the way you use it make it run out of RAM often.

14. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

The OP didn't say it happened less in iOS 6. He said the refresh delay was slightly longer.

iOS 6 didn't even give screenshots.

-----
    Anyways I just tested it on my iPhone 5 with Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube and they all were little to 0 lag when switching back to them.

I think it might be more of the iPhone 4S is older, but since some people are saying that it's even happening on the iPhone 5S, try closing all heavy apps like games or camera apps (I've noticed that sometimes Snapchat or other apps where the camera is still open will actually cause my phone to heat up, though the battery stays the same) and see if that helps. I hardly ever have open an app that uses more power than Skype or YouTube so maybe it's just the apps I'm using aren't using many resources.