Something thats always confused me with screen resolution...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jakesaunders27, May 30, 2014.

1. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Hi all, I have an 11 inch air, and obviously due to the amount of pixels in my screen it can't go any higher but why when I remote desktop to the 27" iMac in our house it looks perfect and sharp? But when i use something like switchresx the screen looks rubbish at any higher resolution?

Can someone explain this to me.

Thanks

2. jtara macrumors 65816

Remove the "but":

"something like switchresx" is just a bad idea.

Your screen has a fixed hardware resolution. If you don't match the hardware resolution, it's going to look like crap. Period.

3. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

It sounds like you are assuming that your MBA can only display 1136x768 pixels, whether it is on your screen or on the external monitor. At the same time, you are making the exact opposite assumption, that the MBA screen can display more than 1136x768.

So for the first issue, the misconception here is that GPU-->screen-->monitor, when the path it takes is actually GPU-->monitor. It may be best to imagine your MBA has no screen, and instead only has the 2560x1440 iMac display. There is no reason the hardware would tell the monitor to display 1136x768 resolution.

For your second problem, how crisp your screen looks is dependent upon the amount of pixels. When you use switchresx on your MBA, you are telling it to display more pixels than it actually has, so if you made it display 2560x1440, about 75% of the pixels wouldn't show up, just because your screen doesn't have them. This makes it look really bad because whole chunks of the screen are missing. What this does is make everything smaller AND lower resolution.

Hopefully that helps.

Best,
    Matt

4. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

That's cleared things up I understand now! Thanks a lot Matt.