"something" to bring cinema display to same height as iMac 27"? (recommended stands?)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aforty, May 9, 2011.

1. aforty, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011

aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

So I just ordered a brand spanking new 27" iMac. Super excited and I'm already looking to expand by getting additional monitors. I want the same size and resolution and given that Apple's cinema display provides the same look, size and resolution without much extra price (vs some Dell monitor I found with the same features), I have been seriously looking into buying two of them. The dilemma for me is that the 27" cinema display ends up with the screen lower than the iMac thanks to the black bar on the bottom of the iMac. Absolute deal breaker for my OCD. Given that this is the Mac community though, I figured something must exist out there that brings the cinema display to the exact same height as the iMac.

Anyone know what this "something" is and where where I could order it? Also, I'm not looking for "sort of close", no, I'm talking about exact, designed-for-this-problem solutions. :cool:

[edit] Title change to try and get people in here who own stands

2. Vylen macrumors 65816

3. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

How about mounting them onto an adjustable arm? Apple even makes a VESA kit for the iMac and ACD that will allow them to be mounted.

http://bit.ly/lWpkAY

There are tons of mounting options out there that will fix this problem. Or you could just put the ACD on a book.

4. aforty thread starter macrumors 65816

aforty

Interesting idea! Anyone know or recommend any good (adjustable?) triple-monitor VESA stands?

5. Truffy macrumors 6502a

Truffy

I've heard good things about this company in the past:
    http://www.ergotron.com/
    They make wall and desk mounts. But I haven't looked at this in ages.

6. T4Show macrumors newbie

T4Show

I have a dual monitor arm from Monitors in Motion. Very expensive, but quality hardware. Also, just ordered the 27" 3.1 i5 and plan on getting the 16GB RAM upgrade from MacSales. Anyone think it's overkill? I use CS5 and plan on FCP X.

7. frontsidebus macrumors newbie

Are there any pictures online of the 2 displays side-by-side?

8. kevin2223 macrumors member

9. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

That's a very nice setup. Very clean. I'd love to know where to get that desk.

10. aforty, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011

aforty thread starter macrumors 65816

aforty

Nice setup!

Which model exactly? Do the monitors align properly?
    Not overkill at all. Ordered a 3.1 27" and 16GB RAM kit from OWC. Future upgrades: 115GB SSD (Mercury Extreme Pro SSD from OWC), two cinema displays. Overkill? Nah! :rolleyes:

So I'm really starting to like the idea of a stand. This one looks reasonably priced and seems to do exactly what I want. Except... now I wonder, will this one align them properly? Anyone happen to have one?

http://www.ergotron.com/Products/tabid/65/PRDID/128/language/en-US/Default.aspx

[edit] Rather, the easier question would be: once the VESA mount adapter is attached to both the cinema display and iMac, will they align based on that alone or do the adapters mount anywhere non-center? (did that make sense?)

11. Berknip macrumors member

I have an Ergotron and love it, but for your setup make sure that you ALSO CONSIDER THE WEIGHT of the ACD/iMac you're putting on it. I think you'll exceed the weight limit of some of the Ergotron models. I use mine just for a couple of Dell displays.

12. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

According to Apple's site, the 27" iMac is 20.4" tall, and the 27" cinema display is 19.35" tall. In effect 1" height difference, as I don't think the .05 would possibly be noticeable.

Rather than getting a black stand where the two screens may or may not have the right height mounting points in the back, check out these two stands at macessity.com

The one is 1" tall, giving you a .05" difference. The other is 1.1" tall, I suppose making the cinema display .05" taller. Like I said I think either would do the trick in visual making them the same height. Once includes a USB hub. Call them and see if they have tried what you want to do.

http://www.macessitywebstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SLIMKEY

http://www.macessitywebstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SLIMV2

13. aforty thread starter macrumors 65816

aforty

Good stuff guys.

Berknip, which Ergatron do you have?

I'm starting to think maybe a two monitor mount would be better at this point. Most seem to be adjustable, so I could let the iMac stand free while haing my two monitors attached t a stand and propped to the same height as the iMac.

More thoughts/opinions on good stands would be appreciated.

14. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

After seeing this and some other threads, and then this YouTube video of a wall mounted iMac, I think I've decided that when I replace my 24" iMac with a new 27" this summer, I will get the Vesa mount, and this Ergotron wall mount arm. I don't intend to mount it so low of the desk and it will me the flexibility to move it from the wall a bit and tilt it slightly. Should be nice.

15. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

Post some pictures when you get it all set up! :apple: