something to fill the time... Subsidized Activation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mtfield, May 28, 2008.

1. mtfield macrumors 6502

Since we are all getting antsy and I just want to fill my time with more iphone speculation.. I was thinking about the idea that's going on about a subsidized iPhone. So that obviously means that you would have to sign/renew a contract in the store. However, I can't see AT&T giving up the great time saving activation process apple created through itunes. So I was thinking maybe if that happens you sign the contract and they give you a code that goes along with a iphone. You go home and plug in the iphone it asks for the code you type it in and your good to go? I don't know.. i know this thread is just complete speculation, but it's all in antsy fun haha... what do you guys think?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's an interesting point... I guess I've never bought a cellphone and had it activated in the store -- I always either got it activated in the mail or took it home and called in and activated it. But I gather it's a laborious process? There are probably plenty of ways iTunes could handle it. It actually probably could just get your serial number from your iPhone and check it against an AT&T status database online -- you probably would not need to bother with a code from AT&T at all (assuming that doesn't contravene some legal requirement).

Or you could just have to sign for the contract at the store? But I wonder how that would impact Apple selling the phone through its retail and online outlets. I can't see Apple giving that revenue up easily.

Meh, I really hope the rumor turns out to be false. I already have a 2G iPhone, and unless I switch to AT&T anyway, I probably won't be able to use a 3G one with T-Mobile/USA, but I'm not enthused about having to sign a contract....

3. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

I'm not up on the subisdizing of the new iPhones, but I stumbled across this and said hey, while we're filling time, who's to say that the phone won't just be offered at the lower price and when you activate your contract is automatically extended for 2 years? Maybe they'll offer the subsidy as a credit on your bill after activation. No one really knows how they'll handle it, so that may be accurate... just my speculation.