Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
I noticed that between the front edge and connection port the thin strip of aluminum has bowed out a little already on my iPad 2 creating a fairly noticeable curve. Assuming thats not natural, heh.

I dont recall doing anything that could have specifically caused that.. I think I can force it back so its not as noticeable but it makes me wonder if the design there might be prone to it.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Yeh, a pic would help here. Not sure exactly where you're talking about.

zaxdude

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
I noticed that between the front edge and connection port the thin strip of aluminum has bowed out a little already on my iPad 2 creating a fairly noticeable curve. Assuming thats not natural, heh.

I dont recall doing anything that could have specifically caused that.. I think I can force it back so its not as noticeable but it makes me wonder if the design there might be prone to it.

I think the OP is talking about the aluminum that exists between the glass edge and the sync/charging port at the bottom.... My guess is that the curvature of the ipad as marries to the flat edge of the sync/charge cable can cause stress to occur around the opening.

I think Apple should have included a cable that conforms to the shape of ipad...that way when plugged in the cable connects more securely and has something to rest against uniformly.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Well I was already trying to fix it as I was posting and it most of the way back to normal, so I cant post a pic of what it was like when it jumped out at me.
Not sure you will be able to tell anything by a pic now, but you can see where I mean anyway.

5BB0n.jpg

The top outer edge of aluminum right there. It was significantly more bent out than it is in the pic which is after I spent a couple minutes trying to fix it.
And I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it.. just something you might want to check after a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justin Luck

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
Well I was already trying to fix it as I was posting and it most of the way back to normal, so I cant post a pic of what it was like when it jumped out at me.
Not sure you will be able to tell anything by a pic now, but you can see where I mean anyway.

5BB0n.jpg

The top outer edge of aluminum right there. It was significantly more bent out than it is in the pic which is after I spent a couple minutes trying to fix it.
And I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it.. just something you might want to check after a while.

I don't own an iPad yet, but thanks for the pic. Do you think it bent outward when you unplugged the 30-pin connector?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.