Something to print labels?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by powerbook911, Aug 24, 2007.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I'm looking for a program to print labels that you can do this:

Enter, for example, first and last name of 50 people, and then tell it to print a label, for each person, if it had some design functionality that would of course be even better.

Embarrassingly, the ancient Microsoft Works in windows would do this. You could setup a little database of names, and then go to the label creator, and it would print them all for you.

Anything like that I could get for Mac instead of typing each name on every label I ever want to print?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Why do you find this embarrassing? Lots of apps can print to Avery labels. Certainly, Microsoft Word can. You should have label templates for Word. Avery includes them in some label packs. I use The Print Shop 2. Labels of the sort you want are printed via mail merge. You must create a database of names for whichever app you use. The names you want in the database will not get there by psychic transfer. You or someone else will have to type them.

3. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yes, I know you have to create the name database. Word on Mac does not seem to do what I want. I've spent hours on it. I've created excel list of names, and one within something in Word, but the merging of the names into the sheet of labels never works, it will input like the first of fifty names, and that is all, or make all labels the same name.

What I meant was embarrassing was that up until a year ago I was still going into Windows and using an ancient copy of Works to do this because it is so easy there. ha-ha.

I might try Print Shop 2 at some point. Thank you for the suggestion.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The Print Shop 2 will certainly do a good job. However, nothing will do the job for you. People use mail merge in Microsoft Word every day. It works. You don't need a secondary app to create your database, be it Excel or anything else. Word does fine on its own. There is an old saying:

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Word has a Help file which does a reasonably good job of telling you how to create your database.

5. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Again, I invested hours in word, it doesn't want to do it, it always does a halfway job and messes something up. I'm not incompetent. I agree maybe there is a way in it, or maybe something in my list messes it up. I'm not sure. I don't normally give up, but I've wasted too much of too many days. There may be something up with my installation of Word though, I'm going to reinstall office.

I found a fantastic solution though. Soho makes this envelope/label software title. Really really nice, and it works and nearly does the work for you. ha-ha. :) Pretty impressive application actually, good Mac feel to it as well. Certainly if you need to do this often, blows away fighting any other program, especially if you need to add graphics and whatnot.

6. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

MisterMe -

I do must say I pretty much have word working now. It *was* my installation for some reason. Frustrating huh? ha-ha. It wasn't even giving me all the correct toolbars and whatnot, even though they were showing as open. It's still not the sleek solution by any means that the Soho product is, but it does work to some degree! :) Not as pretty though either. ha-ha.