Something to Record Music

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sdahe, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Hello guys,

I'm looking for a nice app to record my music... Something where I can record my guitar, the bass, the drums, etc... Not as expensive as ProTools but something nice. What would you recommend?

2. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

3. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

Before buying anything, you should give Garageband a try. It is surprisingly powerful for an entry level program.

4. Ravenwolf40 macrumors newbie

I have been doing computer music for over 25 years now (started with a midiator and I can remember cakewalk 1.0 LOL). Does this make me an expert, no... But i have seen, owned, and played with a LOT of gear over the years.

Garageband is amazing, honestly, give it a fair shake. I own logic express 9 and I prefer garageband! Garageband's audio engine is the same as Logic's audio engine. I can open ezdrummer, melodyne cre8, fl studio poizone, morphine, toxic biohazard, sampletank, guitar rig, amplitube, you name it. Garageband is beautiful because once you get over the simple learning curve you can concentrate on your music instead of spending hours trying to figure out how to make your software do what you want it to do.

Creativity normally hits in little windows of time (at least it does for me), if it takes longer than 5 minutes to get recording, the feeling could pass. (Ie like loading samples into a 2mb emax II sampler for 10 minutes LOL ;P). Granted logic is powerful but create in garageband and if you need to you can open and edit the garageband files in logic.

Even though I have been doing this for literally decades, I've always been more of a computer tech than a musician. And after literally tens of thousands spent over the years, I find (with extreme happiness to me) that I'm actually starting to write "listenable" music in garageband that I can be proud of (hey, not all of us are musically talented, I love what I'm not good at :p). But if you ARE musically talented, then your creativity will soar in garageband in my opinion.

Heck, it's free with your Mac, what do you have to lose but a little time to try it out and see for yourself. Just dive in and start recording immediately. don't even think, just open it, plug in something (mic, guitar, keyboard, bass, etc..) and click record and start playing, then add a track, try different options, there really isn't that much to the program and that is what makes it so beautiful. Soon enough you will be VERY comfortable in it and you will only be thinking about your music, instead of the software!

Don't fall into the trap that I did, which was... If I just buy that "one more thing" I will make cool sounding music. It's a trap, plain and simple. The beatles recorded one of their albums on an analog 4 track recorder! Garageband is 1,000,000 times the power of that. If you make 10 songs, then buy yourself something more expensive, but not until you make the 10 songs!

Sorry, just a rant by an old electronic musician trying to save you some money, and trying to help you to avoid the mistakes that I have made over the years, and to have you concentrate on what is important, your music :).

Peace...

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Get Reaper, a full-fledged DAW for just $40. It really can't be beat.

6. Kasalic macrumors regular

+1 for garageband.

For £8.99 you can get the latest version off the app store (assuming you're running 10.6.6+)

Similar to Ravenwolf - I used to spend more time setting up and fiddling with different programs, now I switch stuff on, load up Garageband and start playing.